FishingBanter

-   Saltwater Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cast Net (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22120)

[email protected] May 5th, 2006 02:08 PM

Cast Net

I want a good cast net, somewhere between 10 and 12' for catching bait
in SW Florida (greenies, pinfish, etc.). Any suggestions on the best
nets, or the best nets for the buck?

Thanks so much.

Capt John May 8th, 2006 05:12 PM

Cast Net

John,

Have you ever thrown a cast net before? If not, I would go for a
smaller one until you get the hang of it, their harder to throw than
they look, and the bigger they are the harder they are to throw.

[email protected] May 8th, 2006 06:07 PM

Cast Net

Yes, I have thrown and know how to throw. I have an old 8' net of my
dad's. I have never bought one before. The only fishing store in
close proximity to me sells Old Salt nets for $100. That seems high
seeing what they go for online. Now, I don't mind spending the money,
but I was looking for some suggestions. The problem with my net is it
seems small in certain situations and often, the bait are a couple feet
under water and I don't think this net is heavy enough. Basically, I
feel like I'm missing bait which in turn wastes some time. If I'm
going about this the wrong way, let me know. I know a lot of
fishermen, but none that have a lot of experience buying new cast nets.

Thanks

Capt John May 10th, 2006 05:16 PM

Cast Net

I've spent a lot of time in the Florida Keys, the charter boats live or
dye by their ability to throw a cast net. I do know that, based on what
your trying to catch, the mesh size and weight varries. Larger mesh
will drop faster, and the same holds true for heavier weights, but
smaller prey can obviously fit through the larger mesh, and a heavier
net is harder to throw (I suspect your net is a tight mesh, won't sink
fast enough). You might want to try World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro shop
in Islamorada) or look at Key's web sites for tackle shops or guides,
send them e-mails asking for advice. It can't hurt.

Timantide May 30th, 2006 08:31 PM

Cast Net

You can get a 5' net in Walmarts for about $21.00
including tax. The secret to making a net cast good, is to soak it in
Downey fabric softener over night and then rinse it out. This makes the
net easier to throw and it opens up better.
A 6'net costs only a few dollars more.
I fish off piers near Tampa and get all the bait I need.
Mullet, pin fish and greenbacks.

Dreday July 23rd, 2006 05:30 PM

Cast Net

What does the downey do to the net?

"Timantide" wrote in message
lkaboutsportsnetwork.com...
You can get a 5' net in Walmarts for about $21.00
including tax. The secret to making a net cast good, is to soak it in
Downey fabric softener over night and then rinse it out. This makes the
net easier to throw and it opens up better.
A 6'net costs only a few dollars more.
I fish off piers near Tampa and get all the bait I need.
Mullet, pin fish and greenbacks.

Bob La Londe July 27th, 2006 06:17 PM

Cast Net

"Dreday" wrote in message
What does the downey do to the net?

Softens the fibers, reduces tangling.

--
Bob La Londe
Fishing Arizona & The Colorado River

dennaymorison February 18th, 2011 07:32 PM

But the problem is it my network in some cases, become small, usually a couple feet bait under water, and I do not think that this network is heavy enough. Basically, I think this, in turn, the lack of bait to waste some time. If I do this the wrong way, let me know. I know that many Fishermen, but none of them have a lot of experience, buy a new net.

anddyrogers June 25th, 2011 12:16 AM

I accept befuddled and apperceive how to throw. I accept an old 8' net of my dad's. I accept never bought one before. The alone fishing abundance in close adjacency to me sells Old Salt nets for $100. That seems high seeing what they go for online. Now, I don't apperception spending the money, but I was searching for some suggestions.