FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=22474)

Sam June 2nd, 2006 07:06 AM

Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up, but
would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the best way of
storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the spot? Do I just
throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it alive underwater until
I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh water ponds/ and maybe some
rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Calif Bill June 2nd, 2006 08:06 AM

"Sam" wrote in message
I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up, but
would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the best way
of storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the spot? Do I
just throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it alive underwater
until I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh water ponds/ and
maybe some rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Worse thing is to keep a fish alive in the water. Summer time and the water
is warm, and the fish will get bad tasting and mushy. I gut the fish, toss
it in a ziplock bag, and toss it in to the cooler with ice. Keep the fish
out of the cooling water makes for the best tasting fish. So bag it to keep
it cold and dry.

George June 5th, 2006 02:41 PM

Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

I agree with Calif Bill, however here in S.W. Florida there are a few
species of sal****er fish that the law requires you must land WHOLE,
just be aware of all the regulations for the area and species your
fishing.
Have fun and enjoy
George

Calif Bill wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up, but
would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the best way
of storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the spot? Do I
just throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it alive underwater
until I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh water ponds/ and
maybe some rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Worse thing is to keep a fish alive in the water. Summer time and the water
is warm, and the fish will get bad tasting and mushy. I gut the fish, toss
it in a ziplock bag, and toss it in to the cooler with ice. Keep the fish
out of the cooling water makes for the best tasting fish. So bag it to keep
it cold and dry.

Sam June 5th, 2006 04:08 PM

Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

Why would the water make it mushy and bad tasting if it is still alive?

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
.net...

"Sam" wrote in message
I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up, but
would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the best way
of storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the spot? Do I
just throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it alive
underwater until I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh water
ponds/ and maybe some rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Worse thing is to keep a fish alive in the water. Summer time and the
water is warm, and the fish will get bad tasting and mushy. I gut the
fish, toss it in a ziplock bag, and toss it in to the cooler with ice.
Keep the fish out of the cooling water makes for the best tasting fish.
So bag it to keep it cold and dry.

CalifBill June 6th, 2006 08:03 AM

"Sam" wrote in message
Why would the water make it mushy and bad tasting if it is still alive?

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
.net...

"Sam" wrote in message
I've haven't been fishing since I was a teenager. Even then it was all
Catch and Release. I've decided that I would take the hobby back up,
but would like to keep, and cook my catch. I was wondering what the
best way of storing a freshly caught fish was. Do I kill it on the
spot? Do I just throw it into a cooler w/ ice? Do I try and keep it
alive underwater until I'm ready to go home? I plan on fishing fresh
water ponds/ and maybe some rivers in RI area.

Thanks,
Sam

Worse thing is to keep a fish alive in the water. Summer time and the
water is warm, and the fish will get bad tasting and mushy. I gut the
fish, toss it in a ziplock bag, and toss it in to the cooler with ice.
Keep the fish out of the cooling water makes for the best tasting fish.
So bag it to keep it cold and dry.

Heat and stress. Builds up lactose and other stuff in the fish.

Calif Bill June 7th, 2006 06:11 AM

Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

oups.com...

Calif Bill wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

On big fish, Salmon and rockcod, I use frozen bottles in the cooler, and
toss the fish in on top of the frozen bottles. I do gut the salmon.

Harley Rider June 8th, 2006 03:16 PM

Newby Question on fresh caught fish and equipment

I don't keep many fish but when I do I want the fish to be fresh.
Sitting in a live well or deck on the deck of the boat make good
compost but not good table fare. Stress sends out all kinds of bad
things into a fish. I take the meat right off as soon as the hooks out.
Put the meat in a zip lock and then in a cooler over ice. Here in CT we
aren't supposed to cut up fish like Fluke or Stripers that have size
limits. But if you KEEP the carcass with you or the pieces of meat are
over the legal size limit in length for that fish it's okay.

Good luck

Jay

macknnadam June 20th, 2011 07:49 PM

I've haven't been fishing aback I was a teenager. Even again it was all Catch and Release. I've absitively that I would yield the amusement aback up, but would like to keep, and baker my catch. I was apprehensive what the best way of autumn a afresh bent angle was.