FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   tarpon fishing? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4252)

Maxine M. Okazaki April 28th, 2004 01:58 AM

tarpon fishing?

My husband and I would like to catch some large tarpon (more than 50 lbs). We saw some a
few years ago fly fishing in the Florida Keys, but we're able to catch any. Where else
can we have the opportunity to catch such large tarpon (either spinning or fly fishing)
and what time of year is best? Anywhere in Mexico (Yucatan area??) or Caribbean? If
there's other things to do as well, it would be nice, since I'd rather not spend every
single day fishing (a day or two off give my arms a rest would be nice :-D) Oh, and if we
could catch some snook, that would be a bonus!

Thanks for any advice.

Maxine

Tim Carter April 28th, 2004 12:01 PM

tarpon fishing?

"Maxine M. Okazaki" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I would like to catch some large tarpon (more than 50 lbs).

We saw some a
few years ago fly fishing in the Florida Keys, but we're able to catch

any. Where else
can we have the opportunity to catch such large tarpon (either spinning or

fly fishing)
and what time of year is best? Anywhere in Mexico (Yucatan area??) or

Caribbean? If
there's other things to do as well, it would be nice, since I'd rather not

spend every
single day fishing (a day or two off give my arms a rest would be nice

:-D) Oh, and if we
could catch some snook, that would be a bonus!

Thanks for any advice.

Maxine

My wife and I honeymooned in Puerto Rico in May where we went tarpon
fishing. We hooked a few tarpon and landed a few snook. It wasn't the
optimal time of the year however; but unfortunately I forget when they said
was the best time.

Sierra fisher April 28th, 2004 03:36 PM

tarpon fishing?

One of the best places for large tarpon..100# plus is Isla Holbox on the
north tip of the Yucatan. You can get info at www.bluedun.com. Fishing is
during the summer. Can also get large fish in Belize. The place that
specializes in them is The Belize River Lodge...www.belizeriverlodge.com. I
know them for fly fishing, but they will probably do anything. The big fish
apparently come into spawn in shallow water during July and Aug around all
of the islands

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Maxine M. Okazaki" wrote in message
om...
My husband and I would like to catch some large tarpon (more than 50 lbs).

We saw some a
few years ago fly fishing in the Florida Keys, but we're able to catch

any. Where else
can we have the opportunity to catch such large tarpon (either spinning or

fly fishing)
and what time of year is best? Anywhere in Mexico (Yucatan area??) or

Caribbean? If
there's other things to do as well, it would be nice, since I'd rather not

spend every
single day fishing (a day or two off give my arms a rest would be nice

:-D) Oh, and if we
could catch some snook, that would be a bonus!

Thanks for any advice.

Maxine

---

Maxine M. Okazaki April 29th, 2004 03:10 AM

Thank you!

Thank you all for your comments.

Maxine

Bill Kiene April 29th, 2004 07:14 AM

tarpon fishing?

Hi 'Sierra fisher',

That is the right info you got there. I was going to mention them both but I
will just second your recommendation.

If you get out with a good guide in FL you can catch them on conventional
tackle pretty easily.

Big tarpon on a fly rod is not easy.

We catch baby tarpon(5-35#) fairly easily in the lagoons north of Cancun on
flies in the summer.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Sierra fisher" wrote in message

[...]

Maxine M. Okazaki May 1st, 2004 01:50 AM

tarpon fishing?

Thanks, Bill.

Maxine

m...