FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Dumb redfish question (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31358)

Ken Fortenberry[_2_] April 23rd, 2008 08:49 PM

Dumb redfish question

I'm packing my bags for New Orleans, we leave on the
City of New Orleans (Amtrak) at 10:30 tonight, and I'm
taking a minimal amount of fishing gear.

My dumb question is this, do redfish have teeth ? What
I'm really asking is do I need to take my Boga Grip or
can I lip these when (if) I get one next to the kayak ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

brians April 23rd, 2008 09:06 PM

Dumb redfish question

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
I'm packing my bags for New Orleans, we leave on the
City of New Orleans (Amtrak) at 10:30 tonight, and I'm
taking a minimal amount of fishing gear.

My dumb question is this, do redfish have teeth ? What
I'm really asking is do I need to take my Boga Grip or
can I lip these when (if) I get one next to the kayak ?

I think redfish have smooth mouths/lips, but powerful crushers inside
their mouth. These guys seem to think it's ok to lip fish.

http://www.captdick.net/DIRTY%20WATER%20REDFISHIN'.htm

Have a great trip. If you get a chance, Fly Fishing in Sal****er has an
article on redfish, fishing in LA......hope you're packing a 9-10wt. ;-)

brians

Ken Fortenberry[_2_] April 23rd, 2008 10:12 PM

Dumb redfish question

brians wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
I'm packing my bags for New Orleans, we leave on the
City of New Orleans (Amtrak) at 10:30 tonight, and I'm
taking a minimal amount of fishing gear.

My dumb question is this, do redfish have teeth ? What
I'm really asking is do I need to take my Boga Grip or
can I lip these when (if) I get one next to the kayak ?

I think redfish have smooth mouths/lips, but powerful crushers inside
their mouth. These guys seem to think it's ok to lip fish.

http://www.captdick.net/DIRTY%20WATER%20REDFISHIN'.htm

Have a great trip. If you get a chance, Fly Fishing in Sal****er has an
article on redfish, fishing in LA......hope you're packing a 9-10wt. ;-)

Gawd, I hope you're kidding. I packed an old Sage RPL 690-4 based
on the advice I received from some of the guys here on roff. I was
going to pack a 9wt, the guide recommends a 9wt, but I trust Charlie
Choc and rdean is only mostly full of ****, not completely full of it.
No big deal either way, I'll either catch fish or I won't and the
choice of fly rod ain't going to have much to do with it.

--
Ken Fortenberry

[email protected] April 23rd, 2008 11:00 PM

Dumb redfish question

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:49:04 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

I'm packing my bags for New Orleans, we leave on the
City of New Orleans (Amtrak) at 10:30 tonight, and I'm
taking a minimal amount of fishing gear.

My dumb question is this, do redfish have teeth ? What
I'm really asking is do I need to take my Boga Grip or
can I lip these when (if) I get one next to the kayak ?

Oh, geez, man...did the guide not tell ya? They got ****in' daggers
that make a 'cuda's mouth look empty...they aren't called Cajun piranha
for nothing...my advice is that, immediately upon arrival, get a Kevlar
glove liner under a stainless steel mesh oyster mitt...in fact, go into
any sporting goods store and ask for their toughest redfish glove, the
ones for tenderhanded types..and make sure you explain that you have
friends in the area and money is no object - you want the best. Some of
these operators down here don't want anyone but trusted locals getting
the good stuff...

Sheesh,
I'd offer to lend you one, but you probably want some nice little token
by which to remember your first redfishing trip, and I'd hate to deprive
you of such...

[email protected] April 23rd, 2008 11:16 PM

Dumb redfish question

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 16:12:40 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

brians wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
[...]

True, true...the color of your redfish gloves will play into things
significantly...

HTH,