FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First person fish (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=25722)

Joe McIntosh[_2_] March 28th, 2007 02:49 PM

First person fish

Having requested help on writing a short article about trout fishing from
a small brookie's point of view I received several suggestions from this
group. J Miller mentioned that John Gardner had written a book from
"Grendel's" point of view:
as I had never read anything by Gardner, and could hardly remember
Grendel"s home I looked forward to my next visit to the local college
library.
Yesterday I encountered Bill Atwill, my PHD (Duke) English Professor and
ask him about the Dragon . A quick visit to Bill's office produced the
book , plus I learned that his master's dissertation had been on John
Gardner.

So far the novel suggests that monsters values of life are better than
those of men, and that the main character stinks of dead men, murdered
children, and martyred cows.

Will finish the book tonight even if I cannot understand the " pagan
darkness that have always haunted the human consciousness."
Meanwhile
My poor little fish is just trying to make his way upstream- trying to
find a female.

Joe