FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   no-knot eyelets (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18819)

BENJAMIN KORSTVEDT August 18th, 2005 02:21 PM

no-knot eyelets

Going through some fly-fishing stuff in my closet I came across a pack of
no-knot eyelets for attaching leader to fly line. Does anyone have comments
on the usefulness of these devices? Are they a clear advantage over a
regular knot? What I worry about is that they could pull out under the
pressure of a good fish.

thanks,

Ben

--
***************************************'
Ben Korstvedt

Ken Fortenberry August 18th, 2005 02:27 PM

BENJAMIN KORSTVEDT wrote:
Going through some fly-fishing stuff in my closet I came across a pack of
no-knot eyelets for attaching leader to fly line. Does anyone have comments
on the usefulness of these devices? Are they a clear advantage over a
regular knot? What I worry about is that they could pull out under the
pressure of a good fish.

Worst gadget ever invented for attaching leader to line.
The barbs destroy the fly line from the inside out, they're
a bitch to install and after all that the eyelet is too
small to accomodate the butt end of a proper leader.

The best way to attach leader to line is a well-tied nail
knot but if you gotta have a gadget Eagle Claw makes a
plastic doodad that some people like.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Bob La Londe August 18th, 2005 03:57 PM

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

The best way to attach leader to line is a well-tied nail
knot but if you gotta have a gadget Eagle Claw makes a
plastic doodad that some people like.

Is that the mesh thing that looks like a cable pulling sleeve? I never
could get those to work for me. Either I couldn't get them on or I could
them on, but they would slide right off.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

B J Conner August 18th, 2005 04:32 PM

The do look kinda look like the instruments dentist use for root canals.
Maybe he should keep them in his first aid kit.
There must be some use for them, fly line to leader connections is not on of
the good ones.
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
m...
BENJAMIN KORSTVEDT wrote:
Going through some fly-fishing stuff in my closet I came across a pack

of
no-knot eyelets for attaching leader to fly line. Does anyone have

comments
on the usefulness of these devices? Are they a clear advantage over a
regular knot? What I worry about is that they could pull out under the
pressure of a good fish.

Worst gadget ever invented for attaching leader to line.
The barbs destroy the fly line from the inside out, they're
a bitch to install and after all that the eyelet is too
small to accomodate the butt end of a proper leader.

The best way to attach leader to line is a well-tied nail
knot but if you gotta have a gadget Eagle Claw makes a
plastic doodad that some people like.

--
Ken Fortenberry

jimbo August 18th, 2005 04:33 PM

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

The best way to attach leader to line is a well-tied nail
knot but if you gotta have a gadget Eagle Claw makes a
plastic doodad that some people like.

Is that the mesh thing that looks like a cable pulling sleeve? I never
could get those to work for me. Either I couldn't get them on or I could
them on, but they would slide right off.

Nope: you are describing a braided slip on loop connector (Chinese Fingers).
These do work well if properly installed (I prefer a nail knot to secure
them rather than the heat shrink tubing though), and in truth, I have
migrated back to a nail knotted loop of mono instead.

What Ken is describing is called a leader link, and it has many proponents
among ROFFians. Personally, I don't trust them, but lots of folks do, so I
guess it's all a matter of personal choice.

The device Benjamin described looks like a miniature "eye-bolt" with barbs
on it instead of threads. I tried some years ago, and Ken is exactly right -
they are nearly impossible to install. They also cause the fly line to hinge
at the buried end of the connector, and I have experienced line breakage as
a result. Worse yet, they add weight to the end of your line - a bad thing
if you are fishing dries.

HTH,

Jim Ray

Conan The Librarian August 18th, 2005 04:39 PM

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message

The best way to attach leader to line is a well-tied nail
knot but if you gotta have a gadget Eagle Claw makes a
plastic doodad that some people like.

Is that the mesh thing that looks like a cable pulling sleeve? I never
could get those to work for me. Either I couldn't get them on or I could
them on, but they would slide right off.

Ken's referring to "leader links". They are small, clear, hollow
plastic doodads through which you thread your line on one end and your
leader on the other. Tie a knot in each and pull them up inside the
leader link.

They work fine; they glide through the guides easily, float and
aren't readily visible on the water. I use them most of the time these
days. (I'll still tie a nail knot sometimes if I'm riggin up at home,
but for use on the stream they're very handy.)

Chuck Vance

Bob La Londe August 18th, 2005 05:58 PM

"jimbo" wrote in message

The device Benjamin described looks like a miniature "eye-bolt" with barbs
on it instead of threads. I tried some years ago, and Ken is exactly
right - they are nearly impossible to install. They also cause the fly
line to hinge at the buried end of the connector, and I have experienced
line breakage as a result. Worse yet, they add weight to the end of your
line - a bad thing if you are fishing dries.

Yeah I knew what those were. I tried them myself, and decided I didn't like
them much. They won't go in. Won't come out. Usually punch out the side
of the line, and basically suck.

--
Bob La Londe

Win a Tackle Pack
Jig Fishing - Tips and Techniques Contest
Courtesy of Siebler Custom Baits
http://www.YumaBassMan.com

George Cleveland August 18th, 2005 06:23 PM

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:21:31 GMT, "BENJAMIN KORSTVEDT"
wrote:

Going through some fly-fishing stuff in my closet I came across a pack of
no-knot eyelets for attaching leader to fly line. Does anyone have comments
on the usefulness of these devices? Are they a clear advantage over a
regular knot? What I worry about is that they could pull out under the
pressure of a good fish.

thanks,

Ben

Toss 'em. The are a dozen other ways to attach your leader.

g.c.

Wolfgang August 18th, 2005 06:48 PM

wrote:

...Does anyone have comments
on the usefulness of these devices?...

Toss 'em....

It's amazing that they've been on the market for as long as they have. I've
never heard anyone say anything good about them.....and what I've heard is
STILL better than they deserve. It's hard to imagine anything more
thoroughly worthless.

Wolfgang

BJ Conner August 18th, 2005 07:35 PM

The do kinda look like the instruments dentist use for root canals.
Maybe he should keep them in his first aid kit.
Denstist should put an eyelet on the instruments they use. A safety
line would be better than that damm rubber sheet they put down your
throat.
There must be some use for them, fly line to leader connections is not
one of
the good ones.