FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New Leader Link Competitor (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=16395)

Conan The Librarian April 1st, 2005 02:22 PM

New Leader Link Competitor

Jonathan Cook wrote:

These showed up in the latest Cabela's magazine:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...king_l2l.jhtml

Not a bad idea except it'll fail because it appears they are
tying it to their own leaders (not selling the leader end
separately) -- somebody's gotten too greedy :-)

But I like the idea of a "bigger" leader link that is bouyant and
that is visible. I think that alone would be a good seller. (Maybe
someone at Eagle Claw is listening...)

I think Dave LaCourse mentioned that setup when it came out. I
remember thinking the same thing as you. (Well, I may have been a bit
more extreme in my reaction; it was more like, "That looks neat, but do
you really think this is gonna make me switch brands of leaders, you
nitwits?")

Chuck Vance

Wayne Knight April 1st, 2005 02:55 PM

Conan The Librarian wrote:
"That looks neat, but do
you really think this is gonna make me switch brands of leaders, you
nitwits?")

I don't think you have to change brands of leaders, They just make the
option easier.

Conan The Librarian April 1st, 2005 03:30 PM

Wayne Knight wrote:

I don't think you have to change brands of leaders, They just make the
option easier.

That wasn't the impression I got. I could be wrong, but I thought
they sold their own leaders pre-rigged with the little male connector,
and you just buy the line connector/female part separately.

Chuck Vance

Wayne Knight April 1st, 2005 04:15 PM

Conan The Librarian wrote:

That wasn't the impression I got. I could be wrong, but I

thought
they sold their own leaders pre-rigged with the little male

connector,
and you just buy the line connector/female part separately.

I think you can buy the line connector with a connection for the
leader, at least that's what their line designer told me last summer. I
still hold to the position that there's no reason to use these things
unless there is a physical disability which makes tying a nail and
blood knot difficult but different strokes for different folks.

Guy Thornberg April 2nd, 2005 12:06 AM

Just read your post John. I like the "Link" if you have the option of using
your own leader material. It would appear the number of wind knots might be
reduced using the "Link". Not that my casting ability should be suspect....
Guy

"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
These showed up in the latest Cabela's magazine:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...king_l2l.jhtml

Not a bad idea except it'll fail because it appears they are
tying it to their own leaders (not selling the leader end
separately) -- somebody's gotten too greedy :-)

But I like the idea of a "bigger" leader link that is bouyant and
that is visible. I think that alone would be a good seller. (Maybe
someone at Eagle Claw is listening...)

Jon.

asadi April 2nd, 2005 01:32 AM

Doesn't the 'slight whitening' that indicates a secure connection mean that
a weak spot is forming?

john
"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message
These showed up in the latest Cabela's magazine:

http://www.3m.com/us/home_leisure/sc...king_l2l.jhtml

Not a bad idea except it'll fail because it appears they are
tying it to their own leaders (not selling the leader end
separately) -- somebody's gotten too greedy :-)

But I like the idea of a "bigger" leader link that is bouyant and
that is visible. I think that alone would be a good seller. (Maybe
someone at Eagle Claw is listening...)

Jon.

Wolfgang April 2nd, 2005 02:37 AM

"asadi" wrote in message
m...
Doesn't the 'slight whitening' that indicates a secure connection mean
that
a weak spot is forming?

Well, it isn't exactly like se........um.......well, never mind. :(

Wolfgang