FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Spinning Rod & Flies ? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37497)

Bob[_4_] March 4th, 2011 04:39 PM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

Hi,

Won't be able to get out for a few weeks yet, but was thinking a bit ahead.

I may do some early fishing from a rowboat, and, frankly, have never
liked using a flyrod off the boat. Always results in rod dings no
matter how careful I am.

So, have mainly use a spinning rod and the typical spinning lures from
the boat, and the flyrods from shore.

Question: how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

A small weight a bit up from the fly, or a dropper with a weight, or ...?

Practical at all, or, forget it, and just crank out the flyrod again ?

Thanks,
Bob

flebow[_2_] March 4th, 2011 06:47 PM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 10:39:53 -0500, Bob wrote:

Hi,

Won't be able to get out for a few weeks yet, but was thinking a bit ahead.

I may do some early fishing from a rowboat, and, frankly, have never
liked using a flyrod off the boat. Always results in rod dings no
matter how careful I am.

So, have mainly use a spinning rod and the typical spinning lures from
the boat, and the flyrods from shore.

Question: how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

A small weight a bit up from the fly, or a dropper with a weight, or ...?

Practical at all, or, forget it, and just crank out the flyrod again ?

Thanks,
Bob

Re spinning rod
The only times that I have done that was to add a piece of fly line
to the end if your spinning reel - to the monofilament w or w/o weight
and cast as best as you can - It is very clumsy
But
Why don't you try roll casting from the boat and you do not have to
take the fly out of the water?

Fred

D. LaCourse March 4th, 2011 07:38 PM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On 2011-03-04 10:39:53 -0500, Bob said:

Hi,

Won't be able to get out for a few weeks yet, but was thinking a bit ahead.

I may do some early fishing from a rowboat, and, frankly, have never
liked using a flyrod off the boat. Always results in rod dings no
matter how careful I am.

So, have mainly use a spinning rod and the typical spinning lures from
the boat, and the flyrods from shore.

Question: how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

A small weight a bit up from the fly, or a dropper with a weight, or ...?

Practical at all, or, forget it, and just crank out the flyrod again ?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob, go to Natick Outdoors and ask them for a spinning bubble. (Call
first.) There is a bubble thingie that can be partially filled with
water (weight) and tied to the spinning line. This is the weight that
makes the cast possible. You can tie whatever kind of fly to the line
coming off the bubble. I've seen folks drifting dries with such a set
up. Don't know how successful they were, but the lures they used were
technically a fly. This set-up would NOT be legal in fly-fishing-only
water.

If I were you I would stick with the fly rod, or go conventional
spinning lures. Just a thought.

Hope you are well.

Dave

DaveS March 4th, 2011 11:31 PM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On Mar 4, 7:39*am, Bob wrote:

YOU WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
I have heard on good authority that Jesus Himself fishes nightcrawlers
during Spring rains, but He does it with a FLYROD.

Bob[_2_] March 4th, 2011 11:40 PM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On Mar 4, 7:39*am, Bob wrote:
Hi,

Won't be able to get out for a few weeks yet, but was thinking a bit ahead.

I may do some early fishing from a rowboat, and, frankly, have never
liked using a flyrod off the boat. *Always results in rod dings no
matter how careful I am.

So, have mainly use a spinning rod and the typical spinning lures from
the boat, and the flyrods from shore.

Question: *how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

A small weight a bit up from the fly, or a dropper with a weight, or ...?

Practical at all, or, forget it, and just crank out the flyrod again ?

Thanks,
Bob

When my granddaughters (ages 3 & 5) were visiting last summer I rigged
them up with Barbie rods with closed face spinning reels and a bubble
( like Dave describes). About 18" below the bubble, I tied on size 16
bead head nymphs (GRHE & PT). Using that set up,each of them caught
more trout than the ten or so (mostly adults) other fisher people
combined at the pay to fish pond I took them to. So yes usng a fly
with spinning rod can be very effective.

JR[_5_] March 5th, 2011 01:07 AM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On 2011-03-04 10:39:53 -0500, Bob said:

Question: how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

Bob, go to Natick Outdoors and ask them for a spinning bubble. (Call
first.) There is a bubble thingie that can be partially filled with
water (weight) and tied to the spinning line. This is the weight that
makes the cast possible. You can tie whatever kind of fly to the line
coming off the bubble. I've seen folks drifting dries with such a set
up. Don't know how successful they were, but the lures they used were
technically a fly. This set-up would NOT be legal in fly-fishing-only
water.

In Oregon, there's a distinction between fly-fishing-only waters, where
such a rig would be illegal and fly-only waters (amazingly including the
North Umpqua), where folks do use them.

D. LaCourse March 5th, 2011 01:53 AM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On 2011-03-04 10:39:53 -0500, Bob said:

Question: how would one rig a spinning setup to be able to cast, e.g.,
size 6 or so, flies with a spinning rod ?

Bob, go to Natick Outdoors and ask them for a spinning bubble. (Call
first.) There is a bubble thingie that can be partially filled with
water (weight) and tied to the spinning line. This is the weight that
makes the cast possible. You can tie whatever kind of fly to the line
coming off the bubble. I've seen folks drifting dries with such a set
up. Don't know how successful they were, but the lures they used were
technically a fly. This set-up would NOT be legal in fly-fishing-only
water.

In Oregon, there's a distinction between fly-fishing-only waters, where
such a rig would be illegal and fly-only waters (amazingly including
the North Umpqua), where folks do use them.

Yeah, I've run into that sitution, but can't remember where. I told
one guy in Maine that fishing flies with a spinning outfit was illegal.
His "fly" had feathers, a spinner, and some weight. He claimed it was
a "fly". He left after a couple of more guys told him to leave.
Apparently I wasn't threatening enough! d;o(

Dave

Giles March 5th, 2011 02:07 AM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On Mar 4, 4:40*pm, Bob wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:39*am, Bob wrote:

[...]

It can also be highly legal. Despite what you've been told here thus
far, there are many places where such a rig qualifies as "fly
fishing" Not EVERY place, by any means, but many.

Check local regulations wherever you plan to use such equipment and
tactics.

giles

Frank Reid © 2010 March 5th, 2011 02:08 AM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On Mar 4, 4:40*pm, Bob wrote:
On Mar 4, 7:39*am, Bob wrote:

[...]

When we give out flies at tying demonstrations, that's the rig we
recommend. Most of the bubbles are clear with rubber tube inside.
Frank Reid

D. LaCourse March 5th, 2011 03:10 AM

Spinning Rod & Flies ?

On 2011-03-04 20:07:38 -0500, Giles said:

It can also be highly legal. Despite what you've been told here thus
far, there are many places where such a rig qualifies as "fly
fishing" Not EVERY place, by any means, but many.

Check local regulations wherever you plan to use such equipment and
tactics.

I know where he lives and such a rig is not considered "fly fishing."
The same is true for the state of Maine.