FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing Tying (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Crab fly help (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4775)

Craig Moore September 21st, 2003 04:52 PM

Crab fly help

Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

I need to make the bodies for the Del Merkins crab Bauer's Fur Crab and
McCrab. These bodies look like they are two oval shaped pieces of material
glued together over the hook . What is this material and what website can I
get it from? I need it in tan and olive.

Also do you know where do I get the colored rubber to make the legs?

Any help would be fantastic. Could you e-mail me any info at

Have a great day, go fly fishing?
Tight Lines,

Craig Moore

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ((((º
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º

Sandy September 21st, 2003 05:59 PM

Crab fly help

Craig Moore wrote:
Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

I need to make the bodies for the Del Merkins crab Bauer's Fur Crab
and McCrab. These bodies look like they are two oval shaped pieces of
material glued together over the hook . What is this material and
what website can I get it from? I need it in tan and olive.

Also do you know where do I get the colored rubber to make the legs?

Any help would be fantastic. Could you e-mail me any info at

Have a great day, go fly fishing?
Tight Lines,

Craig Moore

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ((((º
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º

Going by the pictures I have seen, and the site below, the bodies are deer
hair.

http://www.traflyfish.com/tying/salt/mccrab.htm

Where you can get the materials here (UK) I would try a Google search.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

Charlie Choc September 21st, 2003 06:43 PM

Crab fly help

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 16:52:39 +0100, "Craig Moore"
wrote:

Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

Here's the recipe for Del's Merkin:
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...10497fotw.html

The body is just rug yarn.
--
Charlie...

Svend Tang-Petersen September 22nd, 2003 11:49 PM

Crab fly help

That's the regular Permit crab pattern. The body is made of yarn which you
figure-8 to the shank and then
comb out before cutting into shape. Ive done these using Aunt Lydias rug yarn.
So go to your local craft store and pick up a skein in your favorite color and
you'll have enough for the rest of a lifetime unless you
are a pro-tier or just spend all your time hunting permit.

Craig Moore wrote:

Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

I need to make the bodies for the Del Merkins crab Bauer's Fur Crab and
McCrab. These bodies look like they are two oval shaped pieces of material
glued together over the hook . What is this material and what website can I
get it from? I need it in tan and olive.

Also do you know where do I get the colored rubber to make the legs?

Any help would be fantastic. Could you e-mail me any info at

Have a great day, go fly fishing?
Tight Lines,

Craig Moore

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ((((º
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:

SGI Pager:

1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Sierra fisher September 23rd, 2003 01:43 AM

Crab fly help

Yes, the material is rug yarn, and more specifically, Aunt Lydia's Craft and
Rug yarn. Don't know if it really makes a difference. Colored rubber is
available at most fly shops,
"Craig Moore" wrote in message
Greetings from London, England.
Guys I need help in locating the materials for making sal****er crab
patterns for permit flies

I need to make the bodies for the Del Merkins crab Bauer's Fur Crab and
McCrab. These bodies look like they are two oval shaped pieces of material
glued together over the hook . What is this material and what website can

get it from? I need it in tan and olive.

Also do you know where do I get the colored rubber to make the legs?

Any help would be fantastic. Could you e-mail me any info at

Have a great day, go fly fishing?
Tight Lines,

Craig Moore

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ((((º
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ (((((º

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Bill Kiene September 23rd, 2003 08:55 AM

Crab fly help

Craig,

Unless you are a fly tying maniac, you only need about 2 crabs for a permit
trip. On to tie on your leader and one for your hat.

Actually I was trying to be funny, as funny as you can be about permit
fishing. I tell my customers that a permit is like a Playboy bunny. They are
not interested in us either. Permit are not a nice fish. You only need about
6 to 12 crabs for a trip but if you really want to tie them, go for it.

In one of Jim and Kelly Watt's "Fly Fishing Video Magazine" videos on the
Ascension Bay Bonefish Club, they show Jan Isley tying his Rag Head Crab.
Vidoes or in person are hard to beat for seeing how to tie a fly.

You have the late Del Brown's Merkin crab, Craig Matthew's Turneffe crab,
George Anderson's McCrab, Jan Isley's Rag Head crab and Wil Bauer's crab.

You can tie them in different sizes (dime to a quarter), different colors
(creme and olive) and different sinkrates (bead chain or lead dumbbell
eyes).

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop