FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tough night tournament (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37947)

Ronnie August 22nd, 2011 02:02 AM

Tough night tournament

Saturday - August 20, 2011 - day 60

Spalding County Sportsman Club Tournament
Jackson Lake, 6 pm to 2 am
Hot and hazy, water 87 degrees and clear

I zeroed a day tournament on this lake two weeks ago so not real
excited - fishing has been very tough. That tournament was won on
topwater so I ran up the river and started throwing a popper and
buzzbait. Lake was very crowded but river was peaceful and quiet
mostly.

Partner and I got a couple of hits on buzzbaits but figured they were
bream or gar - lots of the toothy critters around - never hooked
anything. At 7:30 I cast a small jig and pig to a sandbar across a
cove and got a hit. Line went in a circle - looked weird. Set the hook
on a bare keeper but at least I had one in the boat - wouldn't zero
again.

We fished the river until dark then headed down the lake to hit
points. Missed two on one point in the dark, felt them tug as I
worked across rocks but they were gone by the time I set the hook.

At 1 AM I had not had another hit even tho we fished half dozen
places. Started working toward the ramp and remembered a point with a
rock ridge. Third or fourth cast one grabbed my jig head worm and I
landed a 2 pound spot. Had to wake my 22 year old partner up - he had
gone to sleep at 11 PM. Next cast I hooked another one but it jumped
and threw the hook.

With 15 minutes left I felt weight on my jig head worm and set the
hook on a 13 inch spot. Tried to get bit again but that was it.

Was shocked at weigh-in to come in 3rd. First was 2 at 5.50 pounds and
he had big fish with a 3.36 pound spot. Second was 3 at 4.75, my three
weighed 3.81 nd foruth was 3 at 3.05. No limits, two zeros out of 12
people. Only 18 bass weighed in, very tough night.

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

danl August 22nd, 2011 02:18 PM

Tough night tournament

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 18:02:37 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
wrote:

[...]

Seems like ya did pretty good on a bad bite.

Dan

Ronnie August 23rd, 2011 02:51 AM

Tough night tournament

better than nine others, but first place is first place and I came in
3rd! Whats that old saying - second place is just first loser?

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

danl August 23rd, 2011 12:25 PM

Tough night tournament

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 18:51:25 -0700 (PDT), Ronnie
wrote:

better than nine others, but first place is first place and I came in
3rd! Whats that old saying - second place is just first loser?

Ronnie

http://fishing.about.com

Win, place and show...Winning is always best!