FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   MN Ice Fishing Resorts? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17691)

[email protected] June 10th, 2005 07:48 PM

MN Ice Fishing Resorts?

Between 4-8 of us are planning an ice fishing trip to MN in January
2006 for walleyes and pike. We were planning to go to Canada but one
of the guys can't leave the country. Can anyone recommend a good resort
with decent fishing? Here's what we're looking for:

1. Decent ice shacks that we can stay in, cook in.
2. The freedom to come and go as we like, plowed road, no drop offs.
3. A bar or town within driving distance.
4. Decent fishing.

We'd be willing to stay in a cabin as well if the resort and fishing
are good. Thanks, Marko

[email protected] June 14th, 2005 07:08 PM

OK, I'll settle for recommendations on lakes or areas of the state I
can find good walleye and pike fishing. I'll find the resorts on my
own. Anyone?

Jim Laumann June 14th, 2005 08:35 PM

On 14 Jun 2005 11:08:49 -0700, wrote:

OK, I'll settle for recommendations on lakes or areas of the state I
can find good walleye and pike fishing. I'll find the resorts on my
own. Anyone?

Coldmark,,,,

I suggest the following lakes:

Leech, Big Winnie (Lk Winnibigoshish), Mille Lacs, URL (Upper Red),
and Lk of the Woods. This is not an exclusive list - there are many
lakes and resorts in our fair state. But all of these should offer
what you asked for in your first post - ie plowed roads, sleeper
shacks, towns, eateries and purveyors of adult beverages

URL may still have a restriction on walleyes (totally protected the
last tine I checked) - check w/ a resort or MN DNR for the latest word
on when it will re-open for them.

One option might be to try LOW for the walleyes, then drop down
to URL for the crappie bite & trophy NP. The lakes are about 60 miles
apart, so it is do-able.

If you want more info - check the MN Office of Tourism - they have
the state carved up in to regions - pick a region, and then zero in.

Note - all of the lakes I mentioned are in the Central and N parts of
the state, but you could go anywhere.

I can't give you a resort - I fish local lakes out of my portable.

Hope this helps

Jim

[email protected] June 21st, 2005 05:01 PM

Thanks Jim. Good info!

[email protected] July 13th, 2005 08:33 PM

I'm thinking of fishing the Long Point area. Does anyone know how the
fishing there compares to the Baudette and Rainy River areas?

I don't want to book a trip to Long Point only to find out that the ice
fishing is far superior at the mouth of Rainy River.