FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Rain gear?? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=33612)

Da Chief March 15th, 2009 03:20 PM

Rain gear??

I'm considering the purchase of some insulated rain gear (parka and bib
pants), especially after fishing Allatoona in the rain and cold yesterday.
However, I want it in camo so that I can use it for hunting as well. Anyone
have any suggestions?

Shelby Foles,

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers March 15th, 2009 04:01 PM

Rain gear??

"Da Chief" wrote in message
I'm considering the purchase of some insulated rain gear (parka and bib
pants), especially after fishing Allatoona in the rain and cold yesterday.
However, I want it in camo so that I can use it for hunting as well.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Shelby Foles,

Hi Shelby,

For over ten years, I've been using Mad Dog camo rain gear. Mine is
uninsulated, as I prefer to layer underneath to give me the versatility of
using it in warmer weather. The Mad Dog stuff is comfortable to wear, as it
doesn't get damp and clammy while wearing it and does a good job of stopping
the wind as well. I've worn this stuff while hunting and it's quiet as
well. Wearing this, I've taken over a dozen whitetail deer, two black bears
and a caribou. Even though I've worn this extensively, almost year round,
it's just now starting to leak a little at the seams. So I consider it to
have given me a lot of great service and has been a very good investment.
It's a short jacket and bibs.

Now, if you really want something insulated, look for Browning Hydro-Fleece.
I have some of that too, a longer coat (with a zip out liner) and bibs.
This is insulated gear and have proven to be extremely warm, and waterproof.
I've worn it hunting in cold down to -18.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Da Chief March 15th, 2009 07:31 PM

Rain gear??

Thanks Steve. Will the hydro-fleece stand up to a day long downpour?

--
Shelby Foles,

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" wrote "snip"

[...]

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers March 15th, 2009 07:57 PM

Rain gear??

"Da Chief" wrote in message
Thanks Steve. Will the hydro-fleece stand up to a day long downpour?

It has for me. I have found that like most Gore-Tex garments, if it does
leak, it's because it's dirty. Wash it and it keeps you much drier.
Evidently dirts holds the moisture and kind of "wicks" it through to the
inside.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service and Custom Rods
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Bob La Londe March 16th, 2009 04:00 PM

Rain gear??

"Da Chief" wrote in message
I'm considering the purchase of some insulated rain gear (parka and bib
pants), especially after fishing Allatoona in the rain and cold yesterday.
However, I want it in camo so that I can use it for hunting as well.
Anyone have any suggestions?

Shelby Foles,

Not sure how nasty of weather you get into, but I have had pretty good luck
using my Frogg Toggs much the way Steve uses his gear. Since I live in the
desert I don't see the rain he sees or have his experience in that type of
element, but layering works. On a tournament on Alamo lake once it was
snowing while we were doing signup. As soon as we hit the water it changed
to cold driving rain with wind gusts to 30 or 40 MPH. My rain gear over my
Ridgeline jacket over a flannel shirt did the trick. When it cleared up
enough so I could see it was apparent why it was so cold. There was snow
all over the surrounding mountains where the wind was coming over. My hands
were cold, and my face took a beating because the pattern we were on seemed
to be to cast into the teeth of the storm and work back towards the boat,
but I was mainly warm and dry. I've since picked up a set of neoprene
gloves for those cold wet days. Now if they just made a nice personal face
shield with windshield wipers. LOL.

P.S. We caught a lot of fish that day.

I lost that set of Frogg Toggs on a motorcycle trip, and tried a couple
different cheaper rain suits since. The good part of that is I live in the
desert and do not have to fish or ride in the rain that often. I just
bought a new set of Frogg Toggs a couple weeks ago.

Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com March 17th, 2009 12:12 AM

Rain gear??

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message SNIP

[...]

Bob, Frogg Toggs are fine for some things, but hunting definitely isn't one
of them. They make far too much noise, especially if someone is going to
bowhunt. And, they don't hold up well for walking through brush. Da Chief
needs something that has a Gore-Tex and a suede like finish to help keep it
quiet for close up shots.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
G & S Guide Service
http://www.herefishyfishy.com

Bob La Londe March 17th, 2009 03:01 PM

Rain gear??

"Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com" wrote in message

[...]

Hadn't really thought about them for hunting, as I have not stalked a kill
in many years.

Mafario Amicucci March 22nd, 2009 04:12 AM

Rain gear??

On Mar 15, 11:01 am, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" go-
wrote:
"Da Chief" wrote in message

[...]

Mad dog is good. I got my from ebay since I can not find here in EU.

Mafario amicucci

Chicago Paddling-Fishing March 30th, 2009 07:27 PM

[...]

You find suede quiet for walking? I like goretex but most of my stuff has
more of a canvas feel to it (gaiters and such). A nice goretex hat is a
must around there for any sort of outdoor activity if it's going to rain
at all... keeping my head dry is 80% of the comfort battle for me...

--
John Nelson
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers.com March 30th, 2009 07:46 PM

Rain gear??

"Chicago Paddling-Fishing" wrote in message SNIP

You find suede quiet for walking? I like goretex but most of my stuff has
more of a canvas feel to it (gaiters and such). A nice goretex hat is a
must around there for any sort of outdoor activity if it's going to rain
at all... keeping my head dry is 80% of the comfort battle for me...

Hi John,

I've found the microsuede fabrics to be quite comfortable and quiet for
walking/stalking. My Mad Dog gear evidently has a GoreTex lining that keeps
me dry and comfortable.

I have some GoreTex fishing gear that is more of a canvas type outer jacket
and bibs that is far to noisy for what the original poster had intended.