FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   In the gloaming (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=4575)

Wolfgang June 5th, 2004 01:50 AM

In the gloaming

It's one of those rare evenings......pellucidly clear. Looking to the
east.....where the lake would be if you were close enough to see it.....the
air has a remarkably transparent quality......what people like to think
crystallized carbon should look like. If the houses across the street and
those for innumerable other blocks weren't in the way, you'd swear you could
see Michigan from here.

Look the other way, toward the neighbors garage, boat, and unruly bridal
veil, and another world suddenly appears. Turn around again. Keep the
evening sun to your back.......the chive blossoms make lilacs blush in envy.
In between, there is nothing......nothing so thick you could cut out chunks
of it and sell it to new-agers as a remedy for whatever the **** it is that
ails them. Turn again. Look toward the sun......not AT it.....but in the
general direction. Keep your hat brim low. The nothingness is alive. Fly
fishers look for hatches......but they only look sometimes.......sometimes
it's the wrong times......and places.

In the back yard. Don't know what they are. I don't care. I suspect the
fish wouldn't either. Whatever they are, there are a LOT of them. Looking
at them.....through a ruby glass.....I wonder that it is possible to breath
without feeling the chunks thumping in nasal passages. DAMN, there are a
lot of bugs flying around! And they're GOOD bugs......haven't been bitten
since last September.

As the sun sags ever lower toward the west.....toward a presumably desired
oblivion (it HAS been a long day!).....ever more invisible details spring to
sudden, if ephemeral, life. Spiders, those eternal (and, one must admit,
not entirely hopeless) optimists, have placed obscure traps.....visible only
now, and only briefly (EVER so briefly).....in places where even the
mindless hoards of insensate bugs realize they have no legitimate business.
They are out cavorting in what little remains of the warming
sunshine.....far away from the silken abattoirs in the shrubbery and the
poisonous fangs of their arachnid kin. A lot of spiders must starve to
death.

Joel called about an hour and a half ago. We're going to meet for breakfast
a week from tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m.....or thereabouts......in a place
so secret that there simply MUST be people on each and every continent who
don't know about it. Then we're going somewhere else to do something else.
I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to beat up your old man.

Don't tell George. I mean it! :(

Wolfgang
anyone else, of course, is welcome to join us.

George Cleveland June 5th, 2004 02:02 AM

In the gloaming

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 19:50:21 -0500, "Wolfgang"
wrote:

Whole lotta loveliness snipped*

Joel called about an hour and a half ago. We're going to meet for breakfast
a week from tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m.....or thereabouts......in a place
so secret that there simply MUST be people on each and every continent who
don't know about it. Then we're going somewhere else to do something else.
I could tell you about it, but then I'd have to beat up your old man.

Don't tell George. I mean it! :(

Wolfgang
anyone else, of course, is welcome to join us.

Just a heads up. A young women drowned last night below a dam here in
Merrill. The girl and her friends were drinking and then decided to
wade *right* below the dam. She was sucked in by the backwash and spit
out sometime last night. Her body was found about a quarter mile
downstream from the dam early this morning.

Be careful.

g.c.

Ken Fortenberry June 5th, 2004 02:05 AM

In the gloaming

Wolfgang wrote:
It's one of those rare evenings......
merciful snippage
Don't tell George. I mean it! :(

Wolfgang
anyone else, of course, is welcome to join us.

Spiders cavorting in the shadows of the setting sun ?

I may come up to cheesehead land and fish with you guys just
to find out what the hell you been smokin'. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Willi June 5th, 2004 02:14 AM

In the gloaming

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

It's one of those rare evenings......
merciful snippage
Don't tell George. I mean it! :(

Wolfgang
anyone else, of course, is welcome to join us.

Spiders cavorting in the shadows of the setting sun ?

I may come up to cheesehead land and fish with you guys just
to find out what the hell you been smokin'. ;-)

Reads more like psychedelics to me!

Willi

Wolfgang June 5th, 2004 04:36 AM

In the gloaming

"George Cleveland" wrote in message
....A young women drowned last night below a dam here in
Merrill. The girl and her friends were drinking and then decided to
wade *right* below the dam. She was sucked in by the backwash and spit
out sometime last night. Her body was found about a quarter mile
downstream from the dam early this morning.

Sad ****. Some of the more philosophical among us might observe that it
were best not to mix alcohol and water........and that would be neat.

Be careful.

Amen.

Water is dangerous.......always!

Wolfgang
who has heard rumors that some people actually drink the stuff.

Wolfgang June 5th, 2004 04:48 AM

In the gloaming

"Willi" wrote in message

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Wolfgang wrote:

It's one of those rare evenings......
merciful snippage
Don't tell George. I mean it! :(

Wolfgang
anyone else, of course, is welcome to join us.

Spiders cavorting in the shadows of the setting sun ?

I may come up to cheesehead land and fish with you guys just
to find out what the hell you been smokin'. ;-)

Reads more like psychedelics to me!

Never tried those, myself.

Wolfgang
who, lest anyone mistake confession for concupiscence, hastens to add that
it renders neither the voices nor the visuals any the more comforting.
:(

rw June 5th, 2004 06:48 AM

In the gloaming

Wolfgang wrote:

snip

That's just plain embarrassing.

Wolfgang June 5th, 2004 07:50 PM

In the gloaming

"rw" wrote in message
m...
Wolfgang wrote:

snip

That's just plain embarrassing.

Good God, Stevie, is there ANYTHING that you won't step in......and then
pick up and stuff in your mouth?

Wolfgang
has anybody noticed that the boy just WILL NOT learn? :)

Willi June 5th, 2004 09:29 PM

In the gloaming

Wolfgang wrote:

"rw" wrote in message
m...

Wolfgang wrote:

snip

That's just plain embarrassing.

Good God, Stevie, is there ANYTHING that you won't step in......and then
pick up and stuff in your mouth?

Wolfgang
has anybody noticed that the boy just WILL NOT learn? :)

I'm not sure what he's supposed to learn. Maybe, not to mess with the
big, tough, old Wolfie?

"Who's afraid of the big bad wolf......"

Gettin' ready to do some huffin' and puffin'?

Willi

~^ beancounter ~^ June 6th, 2004 12:51 AM

In the gloaming

water is predictable....but, un-forgiving.....