FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Old, old, antique fishing reel question? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=14775)

Suthern Transplant January 8th, 2005 08:47 PM

Old, old, antique fishing reel question?

Hi all,

I am 48 and my Aunt gave me (when I was 9 or 10) a few steel rods equiped
with level wind direct geared reels which my uncle (deceased) had used for
Bass fishing.

I tried my best as a kid to cast with them and could get no further than a
few feet. I would try harder and end up with a huge braided line backlash.
My Aunt was no help when I asked her how in the world my Uncle Hurley would
get these heavy outfits to work...she would tell me my Uncle just knew how
to "thumb" them somehow???

I was a typical kid, and somehow misplaced all the inherited gear...sad I
know but I enjoyed using all the stuff for many years growing up...many
balsa lures and other treasures...sigh.

My question :(as I go stir crazy sitting inside during winter.)

How in the world did they manage to cast these outfits which did not free
spool??? I asked many older men at the time and they were no help.

(I thought some of you older experts might shed some light on a question I
have pondered for many years.)

Hope all of you stuck indoors are keeping sane...and to those of you in
warmer climates...stick a few for me.

Suthern

Rob Storm January 9th, 2005 02:07 AM

One of the secrets is to keep the levelwind lubricated. A drop of reel oil
every now and then will keep those old knuckle busters working well.. Another
secret -- as Steve said -- is to use a heavier bait than you might be used to
throwing.

I think it's a hoot to use those old reels today. I love catching fish when
the only drag is my thumb. Sure, I get a backlash every now and then, but I
just take the time to untangle and keep on fishing. When Bob R. first sent out
the Secret Weapon prototypes, I spent one day thowing a chartreuse and white
1/2 oz bait on a steel rod equipped with a Shakespeare Criteron left hand
retreive reel. I caught four or five bass and I promise you that I enjoyed the
fight much more than I do than with my beloved Curados.

I use the old reels for catfishing because I love to hear the scream of a
reel's click when a big cat makes his first run. I've caught some good cat and
also some big buffalo up to 27 pounds. Again -- part of the fun is using your
thumb for the drag. I highly recommend trying one of the old reels if you can
find one.

Family, Friends, Fishing,
Rob Storm
http://stormsrestaurants.com