FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   TR- casting lessons & a perfect ten (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9307)

snakefiddler July 29th, 2004 03:45 AM

TR- casting lessons & a perfect ten

in his ever gracious manner, opie once again took me out for some fishin
lessons. displaying great patience , we practiced various casts, as well as
techniques for bringing in the line. i had a few nice casts :-), and
several crummy ones :-(

the trip started with a serious hike, climbing boulder, after boulder,
(true, mark did prove a damned good climber, but i held my own pretty well,
with only a few requirements for a helping hand- my excuse being my
diminutive stature g). this which was followed by wading through some
pretty rocky water. upon entering the stream, i received fairly immediate
instruction from said fishing companion, on how to save your flyrod during a
sitting reid SEG (sorry mark, had to tellg)
not to be outdone, i demonstrated my own sitting reid, followed a little
while later by a presentation of the splits- across a mossy rock- that would
have earned me a perfect ten in the olympics. naturally, op had to try to
out-do me with a couple of more near misses, but not to be bettered, i
finished with a very lovely tumble which landed me on both knees, and one
elbow. quite a nice demonstration, really- and all the while implementing
opie's patented rod sparing technique.

upon arrival by my personal instructor, at my humble abode, the announcement
had been made that i was going to get skunked, to which i replied with a
promise to kick his ass. well, as the evening wore on, and mr. bowen
caught brown after brown (totaling three *good* sized fish- HE SUCKS!), i
feared loss of face. finally, in spite of a poor cast, i hooked a brown!
well, there was that weak knee, hand shaking reaction again! i was tickled,
and mark kindly reacted with a good measure of delight at my catch. while i
was *excited* about it, i would certainly have taken more *pride* in my
catch had i hooked him off of a better cast. i do allow myself a certain
amount of satisfaction, however, in the fact that these are wild trout.

so, i came away from the outing saving face, in that i at least didn't get
skunked, even though i didn't kick his ass, as threatened. i came away,
hopefully, with some improvement in my technique,and some points to work on,
a gold medal in freestyle stream acrobatics, my first brown, and a nice
*big* black and blue bruise on my, umm........sitting reid G

snakefiddler- who's the sissy girly woman now, op?