FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Puget Sound Resident Coho on light spinnig gear? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31674)

Michael[_2_] June 10th, 2008 03:51 PM

Puget Sound Resident Coho on light spinnig gear?

In high school in Miami, FL, 30-mumble years ago, I got into ultra
light spinning, 4-6 lb test (6 was really going heavy for me). I
graduated, went back to my ancestral home of Washington state. My dad
had been a REALLY good salmon fisherman here, but what I knew of
salmon fishing from him wasn't ever gonna work with my ultra light and
I 've never been a big river fisherman. Sooo.... I put away my salmon
dreams.Last summer, my brother hired a guide to go flyfishing for
searun cuts wading from shore down by Tacoma. He was using his 6wt
trout rig. He dinna catch any searuns, but he did nail a 2.5 and a
5lb resident coho. Since then I've been kicking my ample gluteus
maximus for all the years I've been missing.

My question is (since I can't find any guides who do ultralight
spinning) what is the best lures for the searuns and resident coho?
Spinners or spoons or either? What sizes or weights? Sinners I'd
guess a Mepps 2 o 3, dpoons 1/4 oz? but I dunno?

Any help to start with will be really appreciated

Michael