FishingBanter

-   UK Game Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   triploid trout (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26338)

peakstroller[_2_] May 16th, 2007 01:56 AM

triploid trout

I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

Derek Moody May 16th, 2007 05:29 AM

triploid trout

In article .com,
peakstroller wrote:
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

1. Commercial fish farms would rather the fish put all their food into
saleable flesh rather than waste energy on spawning.
2. Fisheries connected to running water don't want to risk introducing a
foreign -breeding- species that might skew the local ecology.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

BAC May 16th, 2007 09:51 AM

triploid trout

"peakstroller" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

Rainbow Trout do not normally reproduce successfully in UK waters, and
especially not in stillwater 'put and take' fisheries. Hence there is no
advantage to fishery managers in stocking with reproductively 'viable'
rainbow trout.

Although they can seldom breed successfully, the bodies of 'normal' cock
rainbows still go through seasonal changes to prepare them for spawning,
which leads them to becoming what anglers describe as 'dark' fish which have
lost condition. Hence there is a disadvantage, from the viewpoint of fishery
managers and anglers, to stocking with 'normal' fish.

Stocking with triploids, which do not lose condition in the same way as
viable males, is therefore preferable and more cost effective.

W. D. Grey May 17th, 2007 12:07 PM

triploid trout

In article , Derek Moody
writes
In article .com,
peakstroller wrote:
I have just been reading an interesting article on how Triploid trout
are reared. My question is why are they reared? Surely it would be
more productive to rear Trout that can reproduce ?

1. Commercial fish farms would rather the fish put all their food into
saleable flesh rather than waste energy on spawning.
2. Fisheries connected to running water don't want to risk introducing a
foreign -breeding- species that might skew the local ecology.

Cheerio,

........and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

Large double figure Rainbows are just want some anglers(fishmongers)
want - but they are not /real/anglers anyway.
--
Bill Grey

Derek Moody May 18th, 2007 08:02 AM

triploid trout

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

.......and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

There are supposed to be naturalised rainbows in Derbyshire and I've seen
fry from put and take ponds that I'm sure were never stocked - as most of
them were inside larger rainbows it's safe to assume that few of those make
it...

Large double figure Rainbows are just want some anglers(fishmongers)
want - but they are not /real/anglers anyway.

The most fun-to-catch rainbows ime are those stocked as fingerlings in the
West Cork ESB waters. They rarely make more than a couple of pounds.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/
uk.rec.fishing.game Badge Page:
http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/urfg/

BAC May 19th, 2007 02:04 PM

triploid trout

"Derek Moody" wrote in message
In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

.......and chances are - Rainbows will not breed anyway, at least in our
waters.

There are supposed to be naturalised rainbows in Derbyshire and I've seen
fry from put and take ponds that I'm sure were never stocked - as most of
them were inside larger rainbows it's safe to assume that few of those
make
it...

There are *definitely* naturalised rainbows in the Derbyshire Wye.