FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hook Size For Soft Plastics (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=2348)

alwaysfishking June 2nd, 2004 01:24 PM

Hook Size For Soft Plastics

I know this was asked before but I would like to revisit it again. I beleive
that different hook sizes alter the action of soft plastics. I know for me
that when wacky rigging, I use nothing but 1/0-2/0 octopus hooks. I see and
have fished with people that use wide gap hooks when wacky rigging and I
have tried and seen a noticable difference in the way the bait falls when
using bigger hooks than I do.

When rigging Flukes I also have a preference, when just slightly jerking
them and letting them die, I use a 4/0 EWG hook, when burning them across
the surface, I opt for a Off set hook a little bit longer like the Lunker
city offsets in black 5/0, Reason being for me is that most fish chasing
down the lure have a tendency to just grab the end of the fluke and try and
turn with it, sometimes they get the whole thing but I believe seeing that
the hook is almost always through the edge of the top lip, these fish are
grabbing short, the longer shank IMO is responsible for me landing more fish
when fishing this way. Point being is everyone has there own preference and
opinions and I would like to hear them. So I am listing a few soft plastics
and want to know which hooks and why, and do you use different hooks if
fishing the lure differently. Add anything else that might be beneficial to
this thread. I will list a few so most people can post a response to
something here. Thanks in advance

Stickbaits( senkos. wackos etc) Texas rigged and Wacky Rigged

Flukes/Bass Assassins-

6 to 7 inch worms- Bungee, Power worms, speed worms etc. Do you use differnt
hooks with weighted VS unwweighted?

Craws 4 to 5 inch-

Brush Hogs? Baby Brush Hogs?

Fin S fish 5 3/4? 7?

Zoom trick worms-

Slider worms

Tubes 4-5 inch, anyone using 3 inch tubes?

Bob La Londe June 2nd, 2004 03:16 PM

Hook Size For Soft Plastics

I have taken to using wide gap and extra wide gap for most soft plastics.
It makes a huge difference in hook ups. I also exclusively go to skin
hooking so that the bite will often break the point loose even before the
hook set.

Obviously wacky rigging is differnet.

--
Public Fishing & Boating Forums