FishingBanter

-   UK Game Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Can anyone identify this mystery fish? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=23560)

[email protected] September 5th, 2006 06:03 PM

Can anyone identify this mystery fish?

HI
I caught a small multi coloured fish from the Mersey in Stockport and
can not identify it. I'v scoured the net. Pestered the staff in the
local tackle shops but can't get any clue to what it is . If anyone can
identify it then i would be most gratefull. You can view the fish by
clicking the following link :
http://djc.servehttp.com/fishid
Many Thanks in advance for your time
Dave

Sandy Birrell September 5th, 2006 10:05 PM

wrote:
HI
I caught a small multi coloured fish from the Mersey in Stockport
and can not identify it. I'v scoured the net. Pestered the staff in
the local tackle shops but can't get any clue to what it is . If
anyone can identify it then i would be most gratefull. You can view
the fish by clicking the following link :
http://djc.servehttp.com/fishid
Many Thanks in advance for your time
Dave

Baby Koi Carp?

--

Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-

Website:-
http://www.ftscotland.co.uk
Looking for a webhost? Try http://www.1and1.co.uk/?k_id=2966019
Fishing Wild at http://www.wild-fishing-scotland.co.uk/

suspicious minds September 5th, 2006 10:35 PM

Can anyone identify this mystery fish?

wrote in message
oups.com...
HI
I caught a small multi coloured fish from the Mersey in Stockport and
can not identify it. I'v scoured the net. Pestered the staff in the
local tackle shops but can't get any clue to what it is . If anyone can
identify it then i would be most gratefull. You can view the fish by
clicking the following link :
http://djc.servehttp.com/fishid
Many Thanks in advance for your time
Dave

Minnow (Phoxinus phoxinus), a male in spawning colours!

"Males are brilliantly coloured in the spawning season, when the background
colouring is heightened, the belly becomes scarlet and the throat black"
p198 , Alwynne Wheeler, The Fishes of The British Isles & Northern Europe,
1969

Strange no one can identify it because it is a very common fish.

[email protected] September 6th, 2006 09:51 AM

Can anyone identify this mystery fish?

Many Thanks for taking the time to I.D it for me
Dave

Devs September 10th, 2006 01:23 AM

Can anyone identify this mystery fish?

In message .com,
writes
HI
I caught a small multi coloured fish from the Mersey in Stockport and
can not identify it. I'v scoured the net. Pestered the staff in the
local tackle shops but can't get any clue to what it is . If anyone can
identify it then i would be most gratefull. You can view the fish by
clicking the following link :
http://djc.servehttp.com/fishid
Many Thanks in advance for your time
Dave

This is a minnow. Something doesn't add up here though. You are very
unlikely to catch a minnow with a big hook like that and it also looks
very similar to a rig that I and locals used to use in Germany to catch
trout. A lip hooked live minnow with a maggot on the hook too could be
absolutely lethal below a float. I got my old minnow net out on the
Girvan one day and tried the same technique. I had 3 sea trout within an
hour in broad daylight.
--
Devs
"Punchdown Pete the old Kroner"

Derek Moody September 10th, 2006 11:57 AM

Can anyone identify this mystery fish?

In article , Devs
wrote:

This is a minnow. Something doesn't add up here though. You are very
unlikely to catch a minnow with a big hook like that and it also looks

If I -want- to catch a minnow - eg for bait, then I usually put a tiny bait
on the tip of a #10 as that saves changing the hook.

They'll take maggot conventionally on a #16 with ease and can often manage
a #14.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/