FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Early April in NE Tennessee... Trout? Sulphurs? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=33343)

George Cleveland February 5th, 2009 01:36 AM

Early April in NE Tennessee... Trout? Sulphurs?

Making a quick trip to see the mother-in-law the week of April 5th.
Looking at teh Google I see the Clinch River is considered a good
wading stream (between dam releases) and, according to the website,
hosts Sulphur hatches starting in late March. True? Rumor? BS?

GeoC.

jeff February 5th, 2009 02:08 PM

George Cleveland wrote:
Making a quick trip to see the mother-in-law the week of April 5th.
Looking at teh Google I see the Clinch River is considered a good
wading stream (between dam releases) and, according to the website,
hosts Sulphur hatches starting in late March. True? Rumor? BS?

GeoC.

where will you be staying? ... DanL knows the tennessee streams as well
as most, and he's fished the clinch i believe. send him a note...he's
usually recaptured his sanity and returned to tenn around april, and
since he's now retired, i suspect he might even show you around. the
south holston and watauga are other streams with good hatches and large
trout, but you'll need to talk to one of the local flyshop guys about
wading access areas.

jeff

George Cleveland February 5th, 2009 04:57 PM

Early April in NE Tennessee... Trout? Sulphurs?

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:08:53 -0500, jeff
wrote:

George Cleveland wrote:
Making a quick trip to see the mother-in-law the week of April 5th.
Looking at teh Google I see the Clinch River is considered a good
wading stream (between dam releases) and, according to the website,
hosts Sulphur hatches starting in late March. True? Rumor? BS?

GeoC.

where will you be staying? ... DanL knows the tennessee streams as well
as most, and he's fished the clinch i believe. send him a note...he's
usually recaptured his sanity and returned to tenn around april, and
since he's now retired, i suspect he might even show you around. the
south holston and watauga are other streams with good hatches and large
trout, but you'll need to talk to one of the local flyshop guys about
wading access areas.

jeff

We'll be staying at the snowbird golf haven of Fairfield Glade, just
northeast of Crossville. It'll be a quick trip, four days at most,
midweek. Hoping to escape the familial lovefest for at least an
afternoon but maybe two if I'm lucky. Any info would be greatly
appreciated and company astream would also be welcomed.

GeoC

[email protected] February 5th, 2009 06:52 PM

Early April in NE Tennessee... Trout? Sulphurs?

On Feb 4, 6:36*pm, George Cleveland
wrote:
Making a quick trip to see the mother-in-law the week of April 5th.
Looking at teh Google I see the Clinch River is considered a good
wading stream (between dam releases) and, according to the website,
hosts Sulphur hatches starting in late March. True? Rumor? BS?

GeoC.

You might consider fishing the Caney Fork below Center Hill Dam. From
Crossville come west toward Nashville on I-40. Take the Center Hill
Dam exit. You will basically follow the river upstream to the dam.
There are several public access area on the right side of the road.
You can check the generation schedule by calling 1 800 238 2264. Then
the dam code is 37. A closer dam is Dale Hollow near Celina which is
north of I-40. You can acess the dam info with the same number with a
dam code of 35.

If you have acess to a computer there, check this site:

http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/index.htm

It will give you the generation schedule for all the TVA and Corps of
Engineer Dams which are tributaries of the TN. River. Good luck and if
you are not used to wading generation rivers make sure you have a good
safe way out of the stream bed. Water can rise rapidly and it is not a
good idea to get out of the river on the opposite side from where your
car is parked.

Jack in Brentwood, TN.

[email protected] February 5th, 2009 07:29 PM

wrote:
Making a quick trip to see the mother-in-law the week of April 5th.
Looking at teh Google I see the Clinch River is considered a good
wading stream (between dam releases) and, according to the website,
hosts Sulphur hatches starting in late March. True? Rumor? BS?

GeoC.

Neglected to give info on the Clinch below Norris Dam. Its code is 17.
On the TVA site on the left of the page is a link to all the dams .
They will also give you all the dam codes on the phone site. Sorry for
the omission.

Jack