FishingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   SNAKEHEADS ARE BACK! (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=6073)

barbz May 8th, 2004 04:25 PM

SNAKEHEADS ARE BACK!

This is from Theweek.com:

Wheaton, Md.
Return of the snakehead: The dreaded snakehead, a bizarre predatory fish
from Asia, is back. Maryland authorities thought they had eradicated the
voracious “Frankenfish,” which created a national sensation in 2002
because of its ability to survive out of water for long stretches and to
move on land by propelling itself with its fins. But last week angler
Terry Wintermoyer hauled a 3-pound, 19-inch northern snakehead out of
Pine Lake in Wheaton, Md. The fish put up such a fight, Wintermoyer
said, that he at first assumed it was a 30-pound largemouth bass. But
then he took one look at the snakehead’s mouthful of fanglike teeth and
notified police. “I hadn’t seen anything like that my whole life,” he
said. State wildlife officials promptly drained the lake and concluded
that the snakehead was alone.

barbz