FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Very first fly fishing story (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=31091)

notbob March 22nd, 2008 11:00 PM

Very first fly fishing story

I haven't even got my line in the water and already have a great ff story.

Went down to get my license. I went up to the counter with a lone #18 blk
nymph I was going to use for practice casting and laid it on the all wht
counter. A nice elderly lady came back to the counter to wait on me. She
nudged up to the counter, glanced down, and casually swiped the fly away
like so much scruff. Pregnant pause...... I laughed and informed her she'd
just dusted off a $2 fly. Much hilarity insued.

nb

Mike[_6_] March 22nd, 2008 11:03 PM

On Mar 23, 12:00 am, notbob wrote:
I haven't even got my line in the water and already have a great ff story.

Went down to get my license. I went up to the counter with a lone #18 blk
nymph I was going to use for practice casting and laid it on the all wht
counter. A nice elderly lady came back to the counter to wait on me. She
nudged up to the counter, glanced down, and casually swiped the fly away
like so much scruff. Pregnant pause...... I laughed and informed her she'd
just dusted off a $2 fly. Much hilarity insued.

nb

Donīt use flies with hooks for practice casting, use a piece of wool.
Wear glasses anyway, as just the nylon leader passing over your
eyeball can slice it wide open.

TL
NC

notbob March 22nd, 2008 11:05 PM

On 2008-03-22, Mike wrote:

Donīt use flies with hooks for practice casting, use a piece of wool.
Wear glasses anyway, as just the nylon leader passing over your
eyeball can slice it wide open.

OK. Thnx for the tip.

nb

Mike[_6_] March 22nd, 2008 11:11 PM

Very first fly fishing story

On Mar 23, 12:05 am, notbob wrote:

If you want any tips on casting etc, or URLīs to find decent
information and where there are decent people, just drop me an e-mail
and I will do my best to help you out.

I have already wasted too much time on this group again.

TL
MC

notbob March 22nd, 2008 11:32 PM

On 2008-03-22, Mike wrote:
On Mar 23, 12:05 am, notbob wrote:

If you want any tips on casting etc, or URLīs to find decent
information and where there are decent people, just drop me an e-mail
and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks, Mike. I'll keep that in mind.

I was in my shorts today and down at the riverside doing my best imitation
of a hardcore fly fisherman. I dragged a kitchen sieve backwards along the
immedieate shore and snagged some crawly-stage nymphs. Not exactly
the most informative, but gave me a taste of the methodology.

Now that I have my license, tomorrow I'll be down creekside flogging the wet
and pretending I know what I'm doing. I don't care if I fall in, bust
a tip, or slash an eyeball. I see a few other fisherman on the river and I
fully intend on catching me some fish! ;)

nb

asadi March 22nd, 2008 11:56 PM

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mar 23, 12:05 am, notbob wrote:

If you want any tips on casting etc, or URLīs to find decent
information and where there are decent people, just drop me an e-mail
and I will do my best to help you out.

I have already wasted too much time on this group again.

TL
MC

.....how do you spell that noise you make when you drinking a beer and
someone says something funny and you laugh and it goes up your sinuses and
out your nose?

john

Mike[_6_] March 22nd, 2008 11:58 PM

On 2008-03-22, Mike wrote:

On Mar 23, 12:05 am, notbob wrote:

If you want any tips on casting etc, or URLīs to find decent
information and where there are decent people, just drop me an e-mail
and I will do my best to help you out.

Thanks, Mike. I'll keep that in mind.

I was in my shorts today and down at the riverside doing my best imitation
of a hardcore fly fisherman. I dragged a kitchen sieve backwards along the
immedieate shore and snagged some crawly-stage nymphs. Not exactly
the most informative, but gave me a taste of the methodology.

Now that I have my license, tomorrow I'll be down creekside flogging the wet
and pretending I know what I'm doing. I don't care if I fall in, bust
a tip, or slash an eyeball. I see a few other fisherman on the river and I
fully intend on catching me some fish! ;)

nb

I hope you do, but you are more likely to catch a few fish on
something like this;

http://business.virgin.net/fly.shop/bugger.html

than on a size #18 black nymph, as a beginner.

Half the price as well! :)

Nymph fishing can be very difficult indeed without some knowledge of
how to go about it, and the techniques involved.

Go for black, brown, and olive. You can fish them in a number of ways
as they are good imitations of a variety of creatures.

TL
MC

Ken Fortenberry[_2_] March 23rd, 2008 12:10 AM

daytripper wrote:
"asadi" wrote:
"Mike" wrote:
I have already wasted too much time on this group again.

....how do you spell that noise you make when you drinking a beer and
someone says something funny and you laugh and it goes up your sinuses and
out your nose?

SPLORK! captures that moment nicely, imo...

If the beer actually makes it way all the way out your nose
I think, technically speaking, that's a SPLORK VANG MU!!.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Mike[_6_] March 23rd, 2008 12:18 AM

Very first fly fishing story

On Mar 23, 2:00 am, daytripper wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Mike
wrote:
[...]

I have already wasted too much time on this group again.

Would it be impolite to agree with you?

/daytripper (if only you'd just stick to discussing flyfishing...)

Eleven posts in this thread now, six from myself and the original
poster, dealing more or less exclusively with fly-fishing, and five
others.

Perhaps now that he knows I donīt like queers, he will simply ignore
the fly-fishing posts and read the other **** instead?

MC

daytripper March 23rd, 2008 01:00 AM

Very first fly fishing story

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:11:56 -0700 (PDT), Mike
[...]