FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing Tying (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What to tie for a trip to Bennett Springs (Missouri)... (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=26252)

dacoinman@**remove**dacoinman.com May 4th, 2007 07:18 PM

What to tie for a trip to Bennett Springs (Missouri)...

I've been checking the fishing reports for the spring. I've tied a
couple from the suggestions of the reports. But my delima or challenge
if you will is the monsters within the stream. When I say monsters, I
am referring to the 5 pound plus range on Rainbows and Browns. I am
probably what most of you guys would refer to as a redneck trout
fisherman. LOL What I am referring to here is that I am a bass man.
And only purchased the fly rod in hopes of trying to catch some trout
in Missouri when I finally do get to make trips up there. I tend to
have great success with a "brassie" tied with red wire versus the
"yellow"/brass wire and with out the peacock herl. I can limit out in
mere minutes with that pattern, but I can NEVER get a monster
interested. I know that the spring is a managed/farm spring, of which
I am certain that these trout prefer the lovely pellets supplied to
them by the park when they are fingerlings. But what would possibly
persuade one of these monsters to rise to a nymph and take it? Granted
fish are fickle creatures, but I am looking for an "on the average"
response for this type of thing. Also, the reason I say nymph is
because I still haven't completely developed my casting ability to
even think about trying to dry fly at all....LOL Yeah, I told ya I am
a redneck trout man. LOL I have tied wooly boogers in brown and in
black in sizes from 16 to 10. I figure that these would "imitate" the
pellets that these guys might rise to take if seen. OK, well, if I
haven't totally confused everyone with my horrible gramar and
spelling, I would like ya'lls suggestions as to what you guys would
tie for these big-uns.

Thanks,
Chuck (and yes I am from Texas :P LOL)

Later,
Chuck (dacoinman)
dacoinman - ebay
---
www.dacoinman.com (my error/variety website)

salmobytes May 4th, 2007 09:36 PM

What to tie for a trip to Bennett Springs (Missouri)...

I don't know that stream, so I'm just guessing.
I'd say try some egg flies......or even the soft plastic
orange "salmon eggs" Berkeley sells.

Dave LaCourse May 4th, 2007 10:33 PM

What to tie for a trip to Bennett Springs (Missouri)...

On Fri, 04 May 2007 13:18:48 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

I know a fly that never fails and is seldom used. It's called the
Strawman. It is easy to tie, assuming you know how to spin deer hair.

See:
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.p...heldon%20Seale

I do not tie it with a dubbing loop as illustrated, nor do I use a
ribbing. Simply spin the deer hair on a size 14 dry fly hook, packing
it as tight as you can after every spin. Trim the hair after you are
finished.

Fish it on the surface like a dry, but no need to cast it. It is very
difficult to beat the drag on this fly, so I usually float it
downstream to a spot I think may contain fish. Dab it, don't cast it.

Also, you can weight your leader with non-lead shot and fish it deep
as a nymph, or tie it with a beadhead and fish it deep like a nymph.

Dave

Later,
Chuck (dacoinman)
dacoinman - ebay