FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Very bad news. (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=37760)

Giles June 11th, 2011 02:49 AM

Very bad news.

I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. He
has fished with many of us. He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

Frank Reid © 2010 June 11th, 2011 02:52 AM

Very bad news.

On Jun 10, 8:49*pm, Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. *She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. *According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. *He
has fished with many of us. *He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

Very upsetting news indeed. Relay our best to his family.
Frank Reid

Myron Buck June 11th, 2011 03:44 AM

Very bad news.

On Jun 11, 9:49*am, Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. *She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. *According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. *He
has fished with many of us. *He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

Thanks for telling us, Wolfgang. My thoughts will be for Joel and his
family for quite a while.

Myron

Mike June 11th, 2011 04:08 AM

Very bad news.

Damn that is bad news A very pleasant man he is..........I think I
will make a plaque depicting The Axelrad Stretch on Penns
Creek.......I will always remember him as I have a sweet 8'2" 5wt that
was made and sign by Mr. Alexrad......Please my condolences to his
family........Joel you will be missed my friend...........

Mike Shaw
The Handy One

JR[_5_] June 11th, 2011 05:57 AM

Very bad news.

On 6/10/2011 9:49 PM, Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. He
has fished with many of us. He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

Damn, that's very sad news. I only met Joel once, at Penns, but he was
a big part of making that trip (and the early days of ROFF) memorable.

He'll be in my thoughts in the days to come.

- JR

Ken Fortenberry June 11th, 2011 12:26 PM

Very bad news.

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania....

Very upsetting news indeed. Relay our best to his family.

That is awful news. Joel is one of the nicest guys I've met
through roff, a fine angler and a fine gentleman.

He always signed his posts *DFD* but he would never reveal why.
I jokingly told him it must stand for Damn Fine Democrat because
I knew he was a staunch Republican. Forever a mystery now.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Littleton June 11th, 2011 01:33 PM

Very bad news.

On 6/10/2011 9:49 PM, Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. He
has fished with many of us. He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

Sad news indeed. I have been fishing with a Battenkill reel I bought
from Joel, and will always remember him as one of the finest, kindest
gentlemen it has ever been my pleasure to fish with.
Tom

Tim J. June 11th, 2011 07:37 PM

Very bad news.

Ken Fortenberry typed:
Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania....

Very upsetting news indeed. Relay our best to his family.

That is awful news. Joel is one of the nicest guys I've met
through roff, a fine angler and a fine gentleman.

He always signed his posts *DFD* but he would never reveal why.

You never asked him. "Drag-free drift" is what he told me.

Joel was always good to me here, and I'll miss him.
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry June 11th, 2011 07:47 PM

Very bad news.

Tim J. wrote:
Ken Fortenberry typed:
He always signed his posts *DFD* but he would never reveal why.

You never asked him. ...

I should have said, Joel would never tell *me* what *DFD* meant,
because I did ask, in person.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2010 June 12th, 2011 01:38 AM

Very bad news.

On Jun 10, 8:49*pm, Giles wrote:
I just spoke with Joel Axelrad's girlfriend, Margaret. *She informed
me that Joel is currently dying of cancer in a hospital in Altoona,
Pennsylvania. *According to Margaret, Joel is very far gone, heavily
sedated, and completely unresponsive.

Joel needs no introduction to any of the long-time regulars here. *He
has fished with many of us. *He has broken bread with us, he has drunk
martinis with us, he has visited with us and graciously accepted us at
his home.

Losing friends is a hard business.

Wolfgang

I think its time for a martini. Been a whole bunch of years, but
tonight it seems appropriate.
Frank Reid