FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50? (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=30025)

[email protected] December 26th, 2007 02:22 AM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

I've had an Orvis CFO III for some time now, and while it's a nice
reel, I just can't afford to buy the requisite number of $115 spools
to match the different fly lines I use. And, at the same time, I have
to say my old $40 Okuma Sierra never did me any harm. With that in
mind, what's your vote for:

Best reel under $100?

Best reel under $50?

Frank Reid[_2_] December 26th, 2007 02:43 AM

On Dec 25, 8:22*pm, wrote:
I've had an Orvis CFO III for some time now, and while it's a nice
reel, I just can't afford to buy the requisite number of $115 spools
to match the different fly lines I use. *And, at the same time, I have
to say my old $40 Okuma Sierra never did me any harm. *With that in
mind, what's your vote for:

Best reel under $100?

http://tinyurl.com/34tjcq This is Bass Pro's reel. This reel is made
by the same company that makes Bauer. I've been smacking the crap
outta these things for about six years. Love 'em. Never failed me,
smooth as glass, great drag, nice finish.

Best reel under $50?

http://tinyurl.com/3dp992 Hey, they work great.
Frank Reid

George Cleveland December 26th, 2007 02:49 AM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:22:15 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I've had an Orvis CFO III for some time now, and while it's a nice
reel, I just can't afford to buy the requisite number of $115 spools
to match the different fly lines I use. And, at the same time, I have
to say my old $40 Okuma Sierra never did me any harm. With that in
mind, what's your vote for:

Best reel under $100?

Best reel under $50?

Look around for deals on the Okuma SLV. A nice functional reel, with a
really good drag. Look atround and you can find them on line for less
than $50.

http://www.okumafishing.com/products/flyfishing/slv.htm

g.c.

[email protected] December 26th, 2007 02:52 AM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

Also meant to ask: any opinions on either the G. Loomis Venture ($100,
with $60 spools) or the Orvis Battenkill Disk Drag ($85, but the
spools are only $35, which is nice)?

daytripper December 26th, 2007 03:11 AM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 18:52:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Also meant to ask: any opinions on either the G. Loomis Venture ($100,
with $60 spools) or the Orvis Battenkill Disk Drag ($85, but the
spools are only $35, which is nice)?

I have a couple of bar stock Battenkills with the disk drag (a II and a III)
and have used them enough to feel they represent pretty good value.

At the price you listed, you were likely looking at the cast metal versions. I
suspect they'd use the same drag system as their bar stock siblings, and the
construction would be pretty similar to my collection of cast CFOs, of which
I've always been quite pleased for their lightness.

Otoh, I've rarely subjected any of my reels to the Frank Reid Accelerated
Durability Test Suite, so if you're looking for value *and* extreme
durability, go with what works for Frank ;-)

/daytripper (but try not to do what Frank seems inclined to do ;-)

Frank Reid[_2_] December 26th, 2007 03:12 AM

On Dec 25, 8:52*pm, wrote:
Also meant to ask: any opinions on either the G. Loomis Venture ($100,
with $60 spools) or the Orvis Battenkill Disk Drag ($85, but the
spools are only $35, which is nice)?

G. Loomis - I've sent mine back to the factory 3 times. The center
spindle keeps bending.
Frank Reid

Russell D. December 26th, 2007 06:40 AM

wrote:
I've had an Orvis CFO III for some time now, and while it's a nice
reel, I just can't afford to buy the requisite number of $115 spools
to match the different fly lines I use. And, at the same time, I have
to say my old $40 Okuma Sierra never did me any harm. With that in
mind, what's your vote for:

Best reel under $100?

Don't own any that expensive.

Best reel under $50?

I'm with you - the Okum Sierra. I really like mine. And you don't need
to mess with extra spools. Just get another reel.

Russell

George Adams December 26th, 2007 03:22 PM

On Dec 25, 9:22*pm, wrote:
I've had an Orvis CFO III for some time now, and while it's a nice
reel, I just can't afford to buy the requisite number of $115 spools
to match the different fly lines I use. *And, at the same time, I have
to say my old $40 Okuma Sierra never did me any harm. *With that in
mind, what's your vote for:

Best reel under $100?

Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock

Best reel under $50?

Okuma Sierra

[email protected] December 26th, 2007 10:47 PM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

I went for the Battenkill bar stock (of course, the most expensive -
have to break that habit!) We'll see now if I like this enough to
justify the cost, or if next year I'll be trading down again to the
Sierra...

sandfly[_10_] December 27th, 2007 01:04 PM

Best reel under $100? Best reel under $50?

90% of the under 200.00 reels are being made in a few over seas
factorys..one line is okuma, the one right next to it could be orvis..so
on and so on, all in the same building...all made about the same with a
few quirks to make each reel different..the price denotes how good..

--
sandfly

sandfly/bob
flyfishing instructor, tying and shop owner
http://tinyurl.com/3x53lq
N.J.B.B.A.2215
formally bucks now tioga co. pa.
there's a fine between sane and Insane !

I did not escape----They gave me a day pass !!