FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Need help on a Fishing Trip (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=36424)

Frank Reid © 2010 July 29th, 2010 07:48 PM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

Okay, yesterday, no less than 8 folks including my bride told me to go
fishing. Piece of cake, I'll head up to the Black Hills. Small water
that I can wade, catch some pretty trout. Oopsy, in talking to the
camp ground owners (even at the base in Rapid City), this is the week
before Sturgis and its the 70th anniversary. They're expecting a half
a million folks to start pouring in and if you don't have a camping
spot reserved (and there are no reservations left), fugetabotit.

I would like to leave Tuesday, comeback the following Monday and go
somewhere I can catch decent brown trout whilst wading. No giant
rivers please. Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?
Frank Reid

Giles July 29th, 2010 09:43 PM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

On Jul 29, 1:48*pm, Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Okay, yesterday, no less than 8 folks including my bride told me to go
fishing. *Piece of cake, I'll head up to the Black Hills. *Small water
that I can wade, catch some pretty trout. *Oopsy, in talking to the
camp ground owners (even at the base in Rapid City), this is the week
before Sturgis and its the 70th anniversary. *They're expecting a half
a million folks to start pouring in and if you don't have a camping
spot reserved (and there are no reservations left), fugetabotit.

I would like to leave Tuesday, comeback the following Monday and go
somewhere I can catch decent brown trout whilst wading. *No giant
rivers please. *Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?
Frank Reid

Coulee country. Southwest Curdistan. More details if interested.

giles

Tom Littleton[_2_] July 29th, 2010 11:22 PM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

"Frank Reid © 2010" wrote in message
.. Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?
Frank Reid

how far to Penn's from Omaha?.... and the trailer's yours if you want it.
Tom

Fred July 29th, 2010 11:35 PM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

On 29-Jul-2010, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Frank_Reid_=A9_2010?=
wrote:

Okay, yesterday, no less than 8 folks including my bride told me to go
fishing. Piece of cake, I'll head up to the Black Hills. Small water
that I can wade, catch some pretty trout

Any ideas?
Frank Reid

I just recently discovered that on our anniversary Sept 25 my wife is
expecting 3 chiildhood girlfriends to visit from back East
I have been asked to leave for that week
I have 1 or 2 friends so far that will go w me to Yellowstone
Take advantage of these occasions

Fred - who can be sometimes wiser

Ken Fortenberry July 29th, 2010 11:45 PM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Okay, yesterday, no less than 8 folks including my bride told me to go
fishing. Piece of cake, I'll head up to the Black Hills. Small water
that I can wade, catch some pretty trout. Oopsy, in talking to the
camp ground owners (even at the base in Rapid City), this is the week
before Sturgis and its the 70th anniversary. They're expecting a half
a million folks to start pouring in and if you don't have a camping
spot reserved (and there are no reservations left), fugetabotit.

I would like to leave Tuesday, comeback the following Monday and go
somewhere I can catch decent brown trout whilst wading. No giant
rivers please. Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?

Whilst wading is the thing. You know about the Missouri streams
but that's driftboat fishing for the most part.

The driftless area of Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa has wadable brown
trout fishing but in August you have to be careful about water
temps.

I'd say your best bet is the holy waters of Michigan. Wayne Knight
knows the area better than I but I have fished up there several
times. Check this: http://www.gateslodge.com/

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry July 30th, 2010 12:02 AM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?

I'd say your best bet is the holy waters of Michigan.

Oops, sorry. Mapquest says Omaha to Grayling is 785 miles,
12 hours and 25 minutes.

Hell, if you were going to go to Rapid City anyway why not
just keep on going and fish Yellowstone ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Frank Reid © 2010 July 30th, 2010 12:16 AM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

On Jul 29, 6:02*pm, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
Frank Reid © 2010 wrote:
Within about 650 miles of Omaha.
Any ideas?

I'd say your best bet is the holy waters of Michigan.

Oops, sorry. Mapquest says Omaha to Grayling is 785 miles,
12 hours and 25 minutes.

Hell, if you were going to go to Rapid City anyway why not
just keep on going and fish Yellowstone ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Just found out that the wiff's cousin has a place above Grey Reef in
Wyoming. Water's pretty big and still got a lot of run off coming
from the dam. Might be an idea. I've also emailed Mssr Knight.
Hmm, Curdistan? Hopper fishing in little streams or is there
something bigger? Again, wondering how the heat would affect the
fishing.
Frank

Frank Reid © 2010 July 30th, 2010 12:18 AM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

On Jul 29, 5:22*pm, "Tom Littleton" wrote:
"Frank Reid © 2010" wrote in ...
. *Within about 650 miles of Omaha.

Any ideas?
Frank Reid

how far to Penn's from Omaha?.... and the trailer's yours if you want it.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Tom

Yeah, that's an easy day and a half. Not knockin' it, just would like
something closer, though will keep it as an option if you don't mind.
Frank

Frank Reid © 2010 July 30th, 2010 12:19 AM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

wrote:

Okay, yesterday, no less than 8 folks including my bride told me to go
fishing. *Piece of cake, I'll head up to the Black Hills. *Small water
that I can wade, catch some pretty trout
Any ideas?
Frank Reid

I just recently discovered that on our anniversary Sept 25 my wife is
expecting 3 chiildhood girlfriends to visit from back East
I have been asked to leave for that week
I have 1 or 2 friends so far that will go *w me to Yellowstone
Take advantage of these occasions

Fred - who can be sometimes wiser

And a VERY happy anniversary to you!
Frank
(understanding brides are a WONDERFUL thing)

Tom Littleton[_2_] July 30th, 2010 01:15 AM

Need help on a Fishing Trip

"Frank Reid © 2010" wrote in message
Yeah, that's an easy day and a half. Not knockin' it, just would like
something closer, though will keep it as an option if you don't mind.
Frank

if it turns out to be the best option(given a long, hot, dry summer, it
might not), let me know and I can express mail the key to Rudy. Just make up
your mind by Sat morning, as I'm off to the shore house for a week. How far
from Omaha to Assateague, and have you ever fished for sharks?
Tom