FishingBanter

-   Bass Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   River Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17319)

big fish 2005 May 22nd, 2005 07:39 PM

River Fishing

I have never fished for bass in the spring in a river, where do they
spawn at, largemouth and small mouth?

JPC May 23rd, 2005 07:12 AM

(big fish 2005) wrote in news:19213-4290D1DC-273
@storefull-3134.bay.webtv.net:

I have never fished for bass in the spring in a river, where do they
spawn at, largemouth and small mouth?

i would think they would spawn in the same types of coverage and structures
close to shore in shallower water that you would find in a lake or pond

Swamp Yankee May 26th, 2005 01:02 PM

Smallmouth build their nests on protected pea gravel or course sand.
Favorite protected areas are down stream from an island, jetties or rocks
that block the current. an island will give enough protection for a number
of fish to build nests. A rock will hold only one nest. Smallmouth will not
build a nest within sight of another active nest. the size of the nest is
twice the size of the bass that made it. A smallie will keep its nose in one
spot and its tail will sweep a the bed clean of silt in a circle while
keeping its head in the same spot, thus a circle that is twice the size of
the fish. Males make the bed a few days before any eggs are laid. A
Smallmouth orgy happens when a female goes shallow looking for an active
nest. She is followed by 2, 3 or more males. these extra males will be
driven away by the male nestbuilder or at least he tries to run them off but
there is too many of them & the other males end up fertilizing the eggs
along with the nestbuilder. The nestbuilder will protect the fertile eggs as
if there were his. I always thought it was a one on one till I saw it with
my own eyes. By the next week there are a ball of thousands of black fry on
the nest, a few days later they disperse. This happens when the water temp.
is between 55 & 65*. The river nests are usually from one to four feet deep.
The biggest bass nest first & the small ones last. I target the pre spawn
fish. they are located near the bedding areas , holding at the edge of the
current feeding up , getting ready for the orgy. Good luck & pinch your
barbs, keep the fish healthy.
Charlie

--
Penobscot River Guide Service