FishingBanter

-   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   I need an ULTRA light float tube (http://www.fishingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=17169)

al May 13th, 2005 11:42 PM

I need an ULTRA light float tube

I found a bunch of mountain ponds with large brookies (1-3lb range). They
are 2-5 miles in, and require covering steep terrain. I have three tubes, a
Trout Trap Triad and two Creek Companies. The CC's are the lightest out
there but include the pump, tent, sleeping bag, waders, flippers, stove and
food (forget about clean clothes) and I have a 50+ pound pack. Carrying
this over the mentioned topography really cuts into my fishing time. going
in and out in the dark, kicking around the ponds for several hours, and then
driving home is kind of scary.

Does anyone have a Lunker Hunter collecting dust? They are no longer made
but I am sure they're out there waiting to see the light of day again.

Thanks for your help!

briansfly May 14th, 2005 12:04 AM

al wrote:

Does anyone have a Lunker Hunter collecting dust? They are no longer made
but I am sure they're out there waiting to see the light of day again.

How much lighter is a Lunker Hunter? I can't imagine you'd save a whole
lot of weight using that, over a Creek Co. tube. You'd probably save a
lot more weight on what you pack in. Shortie fins, lighter camping
gear...ect ect.... Leave the pump behind? Do you have ultra light
camping gear? It can get very costly, but I can see you saving 5-10 lbs
just in gear.

brians

Padishar Creel May 14th, 2005 08:24 AM

"al" wrote in message ...
I found a bunch of mountain ponds with large brookies (1-3lb range). They
are 2-5 miles in, and require covering steep terrain. I have three tubes,

Trout Trap Triad and two Creek Companies. The CC's are the lightest out
there but include the pump, tent, sleeping bag, waders, flippers, stove

and
food (forget about clean clothes) and I have a 50+ pound pack. Carrying
this over the mentioned topography really cuts into my fishing time.

going
in and out in the dark, kicking around the ponds for several hours, and

then
driving home is kind of scary.

Does anyone have a Lunker Hunter collecting dust? They are no longer made
but I am sure they're out there waiting to see the light of day again.

Thanks for your help!

http://www.outdoorreview.com/flyfish...oon-boats/PRD_
59659_1401crx.aspx

Padishar Creel May 14th, 2005 08:55 AM

"al" wrote in message ...
I found a bunch of mountain ponds with large brookies (1-3lb range). They
are 2-5 miles in, and require covering steep terrain. I have three tubes,

Trout Trap Triad and two Creek Companies. The CC's are the lightest out
there but include the pump, tent, sleeping bag, waders, flippers, stove

and
food (forget about clean clothes) and I have a 50+ pound pack. Carrying
this over the mentioned topography really cuts into my fishing time.

going
in and out in the dark, kicking around the ponds for several hours, and

then
driving home is kind of scary.

Does anyone have a Lunker Hunter collecting dust? They are no longer made
but I am sure they're out there waiting to see the light of day again.

Thanks for your help!

-------------
Al , I have the following float tube and it is very easy to carry. I
imagine it would be possible to have this float tube wrap around a backpack.
I wouldn't pack in flippers to a mountain pond, you won't need them to move
around a small pond like you are describing, I wouldn't think anyway. I
would keep this tube pretty much inflated and then use my mouth to put the
finishing touches on it. Mountain ponds tend to be cold and they will shink
your float tube some. This float tube also has a seat cushion, leave that at
home as well (that should reduce the weight by a pound or more I would
think). the reason I am recommending this particular tube is because it is
one tough mother! It would be a shame to get there and have a hole in your
tube, this one is very durable.

http://www.sierraoutdoorproducts.com/products.html

I think the lightest float tube on the market that I have seen is from the
same company that made my tube:

http://www.flytyingchronicles.com/re...Floattubes.htm

I just saw this about Wood River boats. Damn shame if true: Hello. I have
several Woodriver V boats, and feel they are the best tubes on the market. I
have had one for 6 years and it still works great. Unfortunally, I have
heard that the owner is having health problems and is no longer in business.

Oh by the way, the normal disclaimers apply here - I don't own any stock in
Wood River Company and I am not being paid as a celebrity endorser (that is
funnier than you know) etc. Of course, you are aware of the float tubes
that exist specifically for backpacking right?

http://www.ezflyfish.com/outrfltu.html

Chris