Showing results 1 to 25 of 33
Search took 1.33 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: sandy
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 0
Posted By sandy
Hair Hackle Wet Flies again

Me my buddy and his 20 year old son
drifted through the head of the Salmon Fly hatch
on the Yellowstone yesterday. Clumps of stoneflies as big
as man's thumb hung from the willows like bunches...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 22nd, 2007, 01:33 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 2
Posted By sandy
The Bobber Hopper

sandy wrote:

Punchline: I don't think you can buy this foam. The magic
of the market place is stuck in a mire.

So I forgot to explain.....the only sources for 2lbs per cubic
foot foam I...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 22nd, 2007, 01:09 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 2
Posted By sandy
The Bobber Hopper

This one depends on access to thicker sheets of closed-cell foam.
I bought some ultra-lightweight EVA (ethylvinylacetate) foam
for making boat seat cushions in the late 1980s
It was two pounds per...
Forum: Fly Fishing June 21st, 2007, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Replies: 16
Posted By sandy
Big Sky this August

George Cleveland wrote:
OTOH, I hear that eastern Montana is actually wet this year. I'm sure
the rattlesnakes appreciate the extra cover. ;^).

The Crow Reservation got 5" of rain in an...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 18th, 2007, 11:54 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 8
Posted By sandy
Start of a Polly Rosborough collection

I haven't got the right names attached to these fly photos yet,
and I only have about 3/4 of the flies photographed so far.
But this is already well-worth looking at--Flies actually
tied by Polly...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 3
Posted By sandy
Sandy's Might

Hair Hackled Wet Fly Revival?
.....the Green Rock Worm and the Lady...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 16th, 2007, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 3
Posted By sandy
Sandy's Might

This fly is really starting to get somewhere.
Now it's getting fast quick and easy to tie.
The trick to making this (hair hackle wet fly) easy
to tie, is to turn it into a...
Forum: Fly Fishing June 14th, 2007, 02:35 AM Posted to alt.flyfishing
Replies: 4
Posted By sandy
bass flies

Lee wrote:
anyone have any suggestions on bass flies? I've tried the poppers with
rubber legs, but all I catch are panfish.

Roadkill...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying June 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 11
Posted By sandy
Adams by Da

Da wrote:
Today, I tied the classic fly pattern adams.
Good looking fly DA. The wings and tail might
be a bit long. Here are two other ties to compare...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 29th, 2007, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 9
Posted By sandy
Griffith's Gnat---trimmed hackle

Da wrote:
Today, I trimmed the Griffith's Gnat hackle a little bit to make the
hackle length is about 1.5 times hook gap. Here is the picture.
Forum: Fly Fishing May 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Replies: 17
Posted By sandy
Strange beast sighting

Scott Seidman wrote:
Trodding back to my car from a day on the water, I was passing through a
phlox patch, and saw what I thought was a large honeybee gathering nectar.

Sounds like...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 10
Posted By sandy
Comments please

Da wrote:
On 5ÔÂ26ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç11ʱ57·Ö, Dave LaCourse

Keep posting Da. And don't worry about the vipers.
They're all bark and no byte.
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 26th, 2007, 01:04 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 10
Posted By sandy
Comments please

Da wrote:
Here is a pattern called Griffith's Gnat. It is a quite simple
pattern. I would like to hear different voices about this pattern. I
appreciate it.
picture...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 24
Posted By sandy
The Sandy Juan Worm -- what is the difference?

S Penzes wrote:
a spin fisherman
..........I can see that he sits down on his stool to have a beer between casts.
I can see that he casts the same thing over and over and over. I don't...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 25th, 2007, 01:31 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 24
Posted By sandy
The Sandy Juan Worm -- what is the difference?

daytripper wrote:

Ok, hit some "flyfishing only" water tossing a Mepps spinner with your flyrod
and see if the Rangers don't get all excited about your definition of
flyfishing.

One other...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying

daytripper wrote:

Ok, hit some "flyfishing only" water tossing a Mepps spinner with your flyrod
and see if the Rangers don't get all excited about your definition of
flyfishing.

And...
Forum: Bass Fishing May 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Replies: 14
Posted By sandy
beginner's how heavy the crankbait question

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers wrote:

Well Ken, there's a good reason why I haven't answered Sandy's question. I
don't have a decent answer. There are far too many variables in his
question.
Forum: Bass Fishing May 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Replies: 14
Posted By sandy
beginner's how heavy the crankbait question

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

Well, no one has answered Sandy's question yet. If he'd introduced
himself as anything *other* than a fly fisherman somebody would
have answered his question by...
Forum: Bass Fishing May 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Replies: 14
Posted By sandy
beginner's how heavy the crankbait question

sandy wrote:
But I have figured out how to make
crankbait lures with a relatively fast easy and cheap
method

I have a hunch there would be huge market for
do-it-yourself lure-making stuff,...
Forum: Bass Fishing May 23rd, 2007, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
Replies: 14
Posted By sandy
beginner's how heavy the crankbait question

I'm a fly tier and fly fisherman. I don't know much about
casting rods or bass lures. But I have figured out how to make
crankbait lures with a relatively fast easy and cheap
method (no carving balsa...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 21st, 2007, 02:22 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 24
Posted By sandy
The Sandy Juan Worm -- what is the difference?

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

I didn't say a plastic worm was despicable I said it wasn't
a fly and one fly fishes with a fly. You can fish with whatever
legal device you want, but for me it isn't...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 21st, 2007, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 24
Posted By sandy
The Sandy Juan Worm -- what is the difference?

Ken Fortenberry wrote:

I don't use "classic" San Juan Worms and I sure as hell don't toss
plastic worms with a fly rod and I wouldn't call either one fly fishing.

.....so you're a purist (a...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 20th, 2007, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 24
Posted By sandy
The Sandy Juan Worm -- what is the difference?

Ok, here's the question: what is the significant difference,
between a San Juan Worm and a Sandy Juan Worm?

The context appears below the...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 19th, 2007, 09:31 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 3
Posted By sandy
A Dozen Flies in a Shadow Box

....one problem is how to mount the actual flies.
The best way I've seen is to get a bag of small
vial corks at a pharmacy or a university chemistry
supply (where the students buy their lab 101...
Forum: Fly Fishing Tying May 14th, 2007, 11:36 PM Posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Replies: 6
Posted By sandy
Scud color and shape

Scott Seidman wrote:

I think they might be pink upon a molt, meaning a pink scud is the soft
shelled crab of the scud world. Yum Yum.

Here's a pink one, tied by Al...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 33