Old February 20th, 2008, 02:29 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Bob Weinberger

Default The Movie "A River Runs through It" was Quite Accurate. Peaked a Renewed Interest in the Sport

"MajorOz" wrote in message

The big fish caught by Pitt just before his was killed was a Dolly
Varden, or maybe a Bull Trout -- they are almost identical.
But what he was fighting as he swam downstream was a plastic bucket.

I am very familiar with Bull Trout (As far as I know there are no Dolly
Varden in MT. They are generally restricted to streams w/ direct access to
the Pacific , though about the only way to tell the 2 species apart is
through DNA testing) and I remember the fish shown as kept definately being
a Rainbow. In fact I remember commenting to my wife at the time that I
wished they had used a fish that wasn't so obviously a hatchery broodstock
fish (rounded tail fin, worn down dorsal, etc.). BTW Bull Trout are listed
as "Threatened" on the Endangered Species List so they woudn't have been
allowed to kill one.

Bob Weinberger