Old June 21st, 2009, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Overloading fly rod

In article , Jim Tedder
wrote:

You mean underloading..?

I have been fly fishing for about a year now and have struggled to master
casting. I recently had a casting lesson at Grafham and the instructor
suggested that the line I was using is not loading the rod. I have a AFTM6/7
9'6" GRXI rod and reel loaded with Airflo ultra supple line rated at 7. He

Probably two or three weights too low for a beginner.

suggests that I pt an AFTM8 line on to correctly load the rod. Now as I am
currently out of work and have just purchased 5 new lines, all AFTM7 I don't
really want to spend out on new lines only to find it isn't the problem. Is

Alternatively get a 5 weight rod and try the new lines on that.

any one fishing with the same setup or has had a similar problem using this
line with this rod?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Google for several series of posts here in the first part of 2002. Mike Connor went through all this in detail.

Look at this thread:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....+author:connor

and this one:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....+author:connor

And generally review the group for that period.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/