Old September 12th, 2012, 11:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.bass
[email protected]

Default Abu Garcia 1600 Black Max Ambassadeur Reel

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 13:32:34 -0400, Bob wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the previous help; much appreciated.

Have a 20+ year old Abu Garcia Black Max 1600 Ambassadeur bait casting reel.
Really like it a lot. Fine Product. But, time for someting new.

From their site, it seems that their C3 series is the closest that they
now offer. True ?
But, from the pix, it does seem a bit "different" from what I have now.

As I will have to order from a catalog without actually seeing one, I am
wondering if anyone has one, and might answer the following:

- is the C3 actually the closest now to my old 1600 ? Have they given
up the black color ?

- what is the push-lever on the flange for ?
my 1600 does not have this.

is it to replace the thumb push-bar on my 1600 that allows the
spool to free-spool when depressed on casting ?

- on these new models, like their new C3, does the level wind bail now
follow the line during casting (unlike my reel, where it stays
stationary on casting) ?

- is there still a knob on the flange faceplate (the pix on their site
doesn't seem to show one) for adjusting the reel "drag" DURING the
cast to minimize backlash ?

Thanks,
Bob

How bout moving up to a Shimano Curado?
Not sure if these are the best prices, but I like mine!
I've got the older models, pretty much the same.

Dan

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Shima...page-SCUG.html