Old April 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM
John Kerr

Default Why is Fishing a Dying Sport

Just a personal thought on the subject. I don't tihnk the decline has
anything to do with tournaments, pros, attitutdues, or any of that.
Attitudes have been around since the cave man, and will probably be
around till our sun leaves the " main scene" .
I believe it is a changing of the times as much as anything. Young peope
have so many more choices of leisure activities now days than years ago.
Plus the young adults find themselves in a 2 income family for the most
part, and when time off happens for the working wife and husband, they
often want to spend it together doing other leisure activities...not
that there are not some husband and wife fishing buddies, just not that
many. Fishing also use to be a bit easier to do...not as many
restrictions, and more accesable water in many places. Now in some parts
of the country, you have to have a license, a lake permit, and even pay
parking in a few! So it is becoming easier for the young people to opt
for other entertainment. It makes sense to me that fishing would always
be on a decline per capita...the days of the "hunter / gather" are fast
giving way to being "supplied" with lifes essential grin.
JK