Old June 7th, 2010, 06:30 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.sea
Alec Powell

Default What's happening here? (Sandsfoot Castle area)

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
This year has started slowly. Everything is about a month behind - more
like the old days. So: About now the bass are just starting to come close
inshore. My first decent bass of the year usually comes from the
Ringstead/Osmingtom area or - wait for it - the north shore of Portland
Harbour - ie, right where you're staying.

Bring spinning/plugging gear and a fly rod.

You won't get as many bass as you might in midsummer but you have a much
better chance of a decent fish.

Fish three short sessions a day: the very first light, over high tide and
the last of the dusk. Wade (wellies will do) the shore with 5" shallow
diving plugs, and bar spoons. Cast biggish (4"+) lures alongside any
features you find.

For a daylight change go to the Bill and floatfish for garfish and early
pollack. If we get some hot, sunny days try for a mullet in Weymouth
Harbour. If there's an absolute flat calm try deep wading along the western
shore of Portland Harbour with a fly for bass in the area now usually ruined
by the board sailors.

Derek, as usual excellent advice.
Had no luck from the beach in the harbour but found that the South Pier
at Weymouth was interesting. Used a lot by the local lads but the
mackerel were few and far between.
Nice Ballan(?) Wrasse though, and one of the guys must have had a good 2
pounder on Rag.
I think might have sussed out how to fish the harbour now, as on the
last day ,I float fished, (good old pike bung:-), rag at about 2 ft. One
bass, but too small to put in the pot :-(
A great time however and hope to get back down that way ASAP!
Interested in the Ringstead/Osmingtom area and will visit next time we
get down that way, (which would be soon, AND PERMANENT, if SWMBO can be
convinced :-)
As it is we'll have a break until the 16th and then try for a barbel or
two from he
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...4000&A=Y&Z=115
Cheers all,
Ale
--
"The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of mens lives the hours
spent in fishing......"