Old April 8th, 2006, 03:38 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish,rec.outdoors.fishing

Default Carp Fishing

JMC wrote:
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/archive/2006/mar/ed_3/

Under the auspices of the Republican administration of Ulysses S. Grant,
the idea of distributing carp throughout the United States was
envisioned and subsequently carried out under successive Republican
administrations (Rutherford B. Hayes and Chester A. Arthur). It was
reasoned that the introduction of carp would provide a cheap and readily
available food source for the country's growing population. In carrying
out this plan, Republican leaders inadvertently laid the foundations for

Note how many of the anti-Carp people on this newsgroup are
Republicans.

Hey Republicans, your party is the reason Carp were spread throughout
the USA.

In addition, Republicans allowed Russian scum to put their boats in the
Great Lakes, bringing in HUNDREDS of invasive, destructive species.
Foreign ships should not be allowed inland in American waters. They
bring zebra mussels and other Russian invasive species.

Don't get me wrong: I believe it was a terrible idea to import Carp to
the USA. They're not native and I oppose the introduction of invasive
species. We already have at least six native species that had parallel
evolution with Carp: three Buffalo species and three Carpsucker
species. In terms of food supplies, Rachel Carson wrote about a form
of crop rotation using Buffalo fish ponds. We don't need non-native
species.

People SHOULD keep Carp and release native species (unless the native
species could stand to be thinned a bit to prevent stunting).

Too bad the anti-Carp people aren't using a similar amount of energy to
oppose the non-native Rainbow, Brown, and Cutthroat Trout in the White
River system. The White River was once an outstanding Smallmouth
stream, then it was ruined by impoundments and cooler water
temperatures, resulting in the stocking of non-native salmonoids, and,
worst of all, the invasion of trout fishermen.