Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
george9219

Default Comparing Trout Densities

On Dec 23, 2:56*pm, family-outdoors wrote:
It seems to us that the number of trout per mile is a statistic that
lacks a lot for informative value. *When we look at fish survey
numbers and various species of trout are given in trout per mile, it
seems that would be like comparing the number of people in Alaska and
Tulsa. I might be able to say one is greater or they are equal, but
there isn't much embedded information.

Some of the surveys we see give numbers per acre and that seems
better. *An even better number it seems would be a ratio let's say of
fish per mile divided by stream flow in cfs. *This ratio would not
really be a number you could stretch your mind around, but it could be
used for comparison purposes.

Finally, we know that all this is just stuff to think about when we
aren't fishing as much and probably doesn't matter much anyway. *I
doubt I'll ever choose one stretch of water over another based on such
analysis...but maybe it'll have some influence.

www.family-outdoors.com

Unless there is a constant, controlled flow, the CFS figure would be
meaningless, as it is a variable.