Old August 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM posted to alt.fishing
Tom G

Default River buoy

wrote in message
ups.com...
We live on the Gasconade River in Missouri. In front of our property,
the river is usually about 2'-3' deep. At times, it gets as low as 8"
or so. We'd like to find some cheap buoys to mark a "safe channel"
that boaters should take to avoid rocks and grass and such that become
a problem when the water is shallow. We thought about just using milk
jugs, but don't want to make the river look trashy. We'd like to find
a cheap floating buoy that we can mark a channel in the river with.
Any suggestions, or sites to check out?

Question 2: Do you think this would be appreciated, or would others
view it as "trashing up the river" and rip the buoys out/steal them?

I would imagine the proper buoys as designated by the Coast Guard would
work, but I don't think I personally would want to install them. Imagine,
you've put them out and someone still runs aground and there's personal
injury or large property damage. Since you took it upon yourself to install
them, I would imagine their lawyer would try to prove in court that you
erred in their location and thus you are personally liable for damages. And
would probably win or at the least would bankrupt you with attorney fees. I
have the same situation in front of my place. I watch all Summer as boats
run into a large sandbar across the river from my place, sometimes at 40mph
or better. I contacted the county Sheriff's office several times as they
have jurisdiction over river traffic. They've ignored my emails but I would
imagine that should someone, someday, get injured there, they'll wish I
didn't have a record of the warnings to them.

Tom G