Old April 9th, 2011, 03:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#3

THE FISH and THE FISHING ...

getting a fly (gotchas, crazy charlies, and some orange-tipped
rubbery-legged gotcha-like flies were the main choices) to a bonefish is
like a watery skeetshoot, except these always-swimming skeet aren't
easily seen by the untrained eye, don't have a trajectory that can be
anticipated with any confidence, are easily spooked, have afterburners
that they frequently employ just as you draw a bead for a cast, hairpin
turn unexpectedly and at 30 mph, and all the while the wind laughs aloud
in your face as it toys with your casting efforts. the key to catching a
bonefish, from my observation and the guide's instruction, is a stealthy
presentation of a suitable fly within 6-8 feet of their line of sight.
no easy task for the neophyte. i provided plenty of chuckles, a few
loud guffaws, and a bucket of frustrations to all in my company. but, i
did manage to catch enough to develop an appreciation for the fish and
for those who chase them successfully.

we met our guide, marvin j, miller, at the northern tip of south andros
in driggs hill at a cement dock with a rusted out barge attached. he
captained a 16' action craft flats boat with a 115 yamaha 4-stroke.
nice boat, clean, well-designed for flats fishing. unlike other guides,
he was willing to take all 3 of us. he taught me a lot about bonefishing
and tolerated my ineptness, while trying to improve my skills. a great
guy i hope to see again. he guided us for 6 days, and we fished on our
own the other days.

marvin was born and raised on mangrove cay. a young man, he's been a
guide for more than 15 years, working now primarily for the tiamo resort
whenever they need a guide. his price is reasonable and in line with
other guides in the area. he is expert at his profession, knows where
the bonefish will be at any time of day, and a great guy. i recommend
him if you need a guide in the mangrove cay, south andros area.

http://www.captain-miller.com/

a guide is essential for anyone serious about making a first effort at a
bonefish, in my opinion...especially around south andros. however, there
are a lot of flats accessible to those willing to explore and walk. but
a do-it-yourself venture is tough, and spotting the singles and doubles
is harder when wading. the guide can follow the tidal flow as it moves
from one side of the island to the other, especially through south
bight, and can get you to locations inaccessible by foot. the west side
of the island can only be accessed by boat and is a beautiful, unspoiled
fishery. it's about 25 miles through the south bight.

.....to be continued...