Old October 31st, 2005, 10:42 PM
Stinkweed

Default Fishing question

"David H. Lipman" wrote in message
news:YBu9f.953$0d.243@trnddc08...
From: "Stinkweed"

| Ok, I will go one question more. Does it hurt the bass physically to
hold
| it by the lower lip to take a picture or to take the hook out? I have
been
| told this is cruel and it does hurt the fish. I have also been told it
| hurts the fish when it is hooked. I'm not trying to start trouble here,
| these are things that have been told to me and I just want to know if
they
| are true or if the people were just giving me a bad time.
|
| I'm glad to hear that all of you, including David and Larry agree that
C&R
| is an OK sport. We have also ate some of them too, but mostly we fish
for
| the sport of it.

About holding the fish for a picture. There are two factors to take into
account here.
The time out of water and the angle you hold the lower jaw. Simply put,
take the picture as
quickly as possible and hold the fish such that gravity isn't causing too
much pressure on
the lower jaw and joint.

Of course try not to remove too much mucous off the fish when handling it.
It is there to
protect the fish from bacteria and parasites.

http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Thanks Dave, I knew about the water, they can't be out long and didn't
think it hurt to hold them by the lower jaw for a quick picture. That is
true if you tried to hold it and your hand wasn't wet that would for sure
hurt the fish. Although I didn't know the reason why your hands had to be
wet, I'm a little squeamish, so I have used a very wet rag. I'm not a big
fisherman, err fisher lady, but I live on a lake and I love to fish. I
have since I was a kid and don't have to catch a monster to make me happy,
but is would be nice.