Old February 24th, 2010, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
family-outdoors

Default Alaska idea?

On Feb 23, 4:52*pm, "Bill McKee" wrote:
"Jonathan Cook" wrote in message

On Feb 12, 12:01 pm, DaveS wrote:

fish. The roadtrip place to go is the Kenai Peninsula South of

We drove Kenai, Homer, Seward, and even over to Valdez. One thing to
watch for is that the regulations are tortuous, and dynamic. Waters
that look good on the map are closed at various times, and despite
your best planning may become closed without much notice.

That said, our trip was not centered around fishing so I didn't spend
much time looking into it, or trying to plan the correct time to be
there for fishing.

Jon.

We ran into that in both Canada and Alaska. *There are lots of good places
to fish near roads. *Or a place where you can hire a guide for the day and
stay in a cheaper motel etc. *We drove to AK 4 years ago from Calif. *Truck
camper. *Which is a good option. *You can rent 4x4 trucks with campers in
AK. *But lots of waters were closed when we were there in July. *Kenai
Peninsula is a good option. *Wife's favorite part of trip was a fly out of
Kenai area to Wolverine Creek. *And fishing with bears. *You are in a boat,
fishing for Sockeye, so is mostly a snag with fly fishery. *Plus we hired a
boat in Homer and heavy gear for Halibut. *Fly gear may require a 60 wt..

Look at areas in and around the Copper River Valley for road system
fishing. The Gulkana, Klutina, and Tonsina are nice rivers. Know, in
addition to regs, the run times of various salmon species if
interested in that. Also, the Klutina has several good guide services
at reasonable cost. The towns where you'd look up info would be
Copper Center and/or Glennallen. There is a "road" that runs up the
Klutina, but the water is TREACHEROUS for someone unfamiliar and
getting guide one day is a pretty good option. The Gulkana is far
more viable for a DIY deal. Also, look at the Denali Highway area.
It runs between Paxson and Cantwell (a good gravel road) and has some
nice grayling opportunities as well as the trout salmon options. The
area I have fished the most up there (on Denali Highway) is the
Tangles Lakes area, but there are others as well. The Tonsina is a
nice stream but like the Klutina, probably not floatable for someone
unfamiliar. Also, access is a bit harder to come by.

If you have specific questions send me an email.
Paul