Old May 7th, 2004, 07:17 PM
brians

Default Fly line recommendation

Jarmo Hurri wrote:

riverman The rod is Hardy Gem Smuggler 5 piece-4 weight, is 8'5,
riverman quite soft, and I use it in diverse conditions (open
riverman casting, and also with covering brush). I don't like to cast
riverman it tremendously far out, as I can't seem to get a good
riverman delivery, so I'd want something that loaded up pretty quick
riverman for intermediate (30-40 foot) casts. I store my line on a
riverman small arbor reel, and all my scientific angler Air Cel lines
riverman have developed memories that I cannot seem to stretch out,
riverman so I want a line with a good reputation for no memory. I
riverman usually fish dries, so a high-floating line is preferred. I
riverman only fish it in freshwater, usually for trout or greyling.

I use a Scientific Anglers XPS on both my 4wt and 2wt and like it
quite a bit. Their website says that the line has "the lowest memory
of any Mastery Series line" - personally I haven't noticed any memory
in the line.

IIRC, the line has a long, delicate front taper, but I don't think
this should really be a problem, since the Smuggler has a soft action.

Ditto, I have the XPS on my 2wt. I like it a lot. Memory is not an
issue, and I use a very small arbor reel. I bought the new SA Trout line
for my 4wt, but have yet to try it. It's built on the same core as the
XPS, so it should have little memory. Another good option(IMHO)is,
Cortland's 444 Peach. Very little memory, and handles really well.

brians