Old April 4th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Tim Jokela

Default Mail ordering from the States

So my question is this ...
What kind of hassle ...if any....should I expect ordering a few
fishooks and some fishing rod holders from the States?

You probably won't experience any hassle at all, but do expect to pay tax,
duty, shipping, and maybe a brokerage fee. All minor problems if you're
ordering small, inexpensive stuff. If you're unlucky, it could add ten
bucks to a fifteen dollar order, so not the choice of penny pinchers.
Patronize your local tackle shop if at all possible. For a lot of big
fishing companies, mail order is a major part of their biz, so they've got
it down to an art. Got a fish finder from Cabela's this winter, it arrived
quickly, and beautifully boxed, they're an impressive company.
Import/export is my biz; 90% into the US, everything goes all to hell when
they announce another orange alert. Importing though is no trouble, if you
can avoid the asshole inspectors and sticky fingered employees.