Old April 8th, 2011, 01:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff

Default TR-observations of a newbie bonefisher -#1 (intro)

in short, bonefishing is a humbling experience to a newbie sal****er
flyfisherman. every flaw in one's casting and line management and fly
presentation is revealed, quickly and often. i have a lot of flaws.

but, following almost 2-weeks of fly fishing the waters around south
andros, i can now mark bonefish off my bucket list. it was a blast and
an intense learning experience. i hope to return for more lessons.

for me, sal****er flyfishing is very different from the mountain trout
fishing i do, with unique challenges. luckily, both are available to me
in north carolina.

for about 20 years, i've done mainly freshwater trout flyfishing when i
had a vacation. otherwise, i've been doing spinfishing in the freshwater
for bass and shad, and in the sal****er for puppy drum, speckled trout,
flounder, bluefish, spanish mackeral and false albacore. with the
encouragement of a friend, and after seeing his glee at hooking an albie
on a fly, i began brief attempts at flyfishing for them and for my
favorite sal****er fish, the puppy drum.

i'm only a mediocre trout fly fisherman...but secure enough in my
knowledge and ability to do it in most places. i'm a miserable sal****er
flyfisherman.

so naturally, this kindergartner of sal****er flyfishing enrolled at the
m.i.t. for bonefishing...south andros, bahamas. it was a hoot! downright
embarrassing at times... but because i was in the company of good folks,
such times became shared laughter and fun and pleasant tutorials. i was
tolerated, as were my deficiencies. i learned, and now i've a new fish
to yearn after as a possible clue in the pursuit of answers to the great
mystery.

for those who haven't done it, if you're able to make it happen, give
bonefishing a go. i'll try to pass on observations from my initial
adventure in other posts.

jeff (more to come, as time and mood allow)