Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:59 AM
Pepperoni

That size engine would fit small fishing craft quite well. I would design
using four 6volt batteries in two banks. I would also incorporate a solar
panel and perhaps a tiny gas genset. Most fishermen would only use the
drive engine intermittently; the solar panel charges continuously. The
second bank of batteries is for safety redundancy and emergency use. I
doubt that you would need more than a 2 h.p. motor for most applications.
You would, however need to incorporate sufficient additional flotation to
support the additional weight of the installation. (about 1 cubic foot of
foam per 50-60lbs)

I know from experience that a 20# thrust electric will push a 17 foot
aluminum canoe at 7kts. (fast enough to troll for salmon)

If you live on a small lake and can deliver power to the boat, electric is
the "way to go". It is quiet, efficient, and well suited to fishing
applications.

Pepperoni

1cf water= 7.48gal
1gal water= 8.34 lb
7.48 x 8.34 = 62.38 (lbs per c.f. water)
http://tinyurl.com/6fklh

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm a business school student looking at the market feasibility of
introducing a 2-10HP electric outboard engine that could be used as
primary propulsion. This product would be introduced by a major player
in the industry within the next few years. I would like to hear your
reactions and get your thoughts on whether or not this would be an
attractive product. I would also like to know how you see this product
being used once it is introduced.