Old December 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
DaveS

Default What the hell has happened to this place?

On Dec 11, 7:19*am, rw56 wrote:

On 2011-12-10 21:58:15 -0500, rw56 said:

On Dec 10, 5:20*pm, Tim Lysyk wrote:
On 10/12/2011 1:59 PM, Tim J. wrote:

Frank Reid © *typed:
On Dec 9, 10:45 pm, *wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:16 am, Frank Reid © *wrote
:

Go on FB and search "ROFF" in the search bar.
Frank Reid

I rather like this place now -- just a few old timers gathered around
a dying campfire.

WHO YOU CALLING OLD!!!

You remember 300 baud modems, floppy disks, and parallel ports, right?
Need
I say more?

I remember punch cards and card readers. As well as all of the above..
Including cassette tape storage.

Tim Lysyk

I wrote Fortran programs on punch cards in 1965. We used the chaff for
pranks -- throw a box of it in some nerd's closet and he'll never
clean it up because of the static charge. Remember the chain-driven
line printers? Remember ferrite-core RAM? Drum drives? Batch
processing? Remember when CDC and Honeywell and Univac were big
players? Time sharing? Dumb terminals? Remember DEC? Minicomputers?
Paper tape? PDP-11?

Remember when the workplace was lit by gaslights?

No, but I remember negro peddlers driving horse-drawn carts in
Baltimore, calling out various wares and services, from watermelons to
knife sharpening. They were confined to the alleyways. And I remember
separate white and colored watering fountains.- Hide quoted text -

I remember the fear of police and State Troopers in New Jersey, where
shakedowns of civilian business people were unsurprising, beatings and
"suicide in jail" periodic, bottles of whisky greased building
inspections, and bets and numbers were conviently possible at most
city parking lot attendent huts and corner "candy shops." I remember
Troopers shaking down Black families at the side of US 130, with all
their luggage spread out in the grass. I remember a Black friend in my
HS geometry class who was beaten to death in the city jail.

I also remember lots of good stuff, like the opportunities nite school
or the military (Marines or Navy preferred) or a ticket West could
mean. but I am VERY content that much of the bad old days are gone.

Dave Snedeker