Old February 16th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Roger Ohlund

Default Rod length in small creek fishing

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

The discussion about small-stream rods in a thread above brought to my
mind a closely related question I've been thinking about recently.

snip
It's impossible to determine an optimal small creek rod for all types
of terrain, vegetation etc., but I'd still like to hear your
experiences. What type of rods do you use in small creeks? In
particular, how long are the rods? How does the length of the rod
limit / affect the techniques you use?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Jarmo,

I use a 7' 3wt for small streams. As the fish normally are smaller in such a
stream a 3wt has proven enough.
On the length issue: I like the rod to be short, this due to the
maneuverability and the fact that you don't need as much length to be able
to control the line in a small stream as in a big one.
Now then, a small stream for me is one no wider than 5 meters so my
perception of a small stream might differ from yours.
As this rod of mine is a cane rod it throws a roll cast without difficulty
even with much less line out than would make it possible to do the same
thing with a graphite rod.
I'd say (personal point of view) that the length which gives you control in
a big stream will get you into a whole lot of trouble in a smaller stream,
whether you are casting your line or fighting a fish.

/Roger
Off for a couple of days to do some more hunting, this time ptarmigan. Stay
warm.