Old February 16th, 2004, 11:23 AM
just al

Default Rod length in small creek fishing

I bought my 2wt when living and fishing in Whitefish, MT. Fishing the
Flathead for 9 inch cutthroats (very greedy fish) and also some creeks in
the northern FLathead Valley. Up until then I fished my 6 wt SciAng, 5wt
Sage DS2, and finally my third purchase the Winston 4wt LT. Because I
worked in a shop I was able to cast and a lot of rods and get good deals on
the Winstons and Sages. Sage still had their SPL's and people were breaking
them like crazy, so I went for the 2wt Winston WT. If I could so it all
over again, I'd've waited one more year and bought the 3wt SLT. That rod is
a dream...

Now that I'm back home in upstate NY, I only use my 4wt on windy days or
when "chucking" big streamers (#6) for landlocks and heavy nymphs on the
Ausable. Otherwise it's the 2wt. The 2wt saved me on the Delaware, where
for the first time I fished #22 flies and the 4wt was jsut too much power.
After switching rods I spent less time retying fine tippet and more time
missing strikes. Now that was fishing!

Thanks for letting me toot my horn...

barooooogaaaaa

"Jarmo Hurri" wrote in message

The discussion about small-stream rods in a thread above brought to my
mind a closely related question I've been thinking about recently.

I have no first-hand experience on fishing bushy creeks, but a couple
of months ago I heard that there are some really interesting ones
nearby where I live. So I will most certainly be checking out some of
these places later this year. However, since I'm a novice in fishing
places like this, I was wondering what sort of a rod one should use. I
have a 2wt 8' rod myself, and I will naturally find out next summer if
that is of any use in these creeks. But since it will take a couple of
months before I am able to wet my line in these streams, and since I
am an impatient man, I thought it might be interesting to hear your
opinions about this type of fishing.

In my area the best weight of the rod is probably 2 or 3, but the
length of the rod is much more of a mystery to me. I often hear
fishermen talk about 6'-7' rods, but some suggest longer rods for
dapping flies over small bushes or long grass. I've noticed that Sage,
for example, does not even produce rods shorter than 8' in their
premium SLT series in weights 0-2. I could also imagine that a shorter
rod might be useful because it would not get tangled in bushes while
fishing or moving around (I think that the shortest ones I've noticed
in my catalogues so far is a 5'6" T&T rod).

It's impossible to determine an optimal small creek rod for all types
of terrain, vegetation etc., but I'd still like to hear your
experiences. What type of rods do you use in small creeks? In
particular, how long are the rods? How does the length of the rod
limit / affect the techniques you use?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Commercial email countermeasures included in header email
address. Remove all garbage from header email address when replying,
or just use .