Old December 16th, 2008, 02:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

Default Sage advice for Jeff

Fred wrote:

On 13-Dec-2008, jeff miller wrote:

y small group - those that suggested i figure if it could be done -
were looking for anything that got us down to the stream with adequate
provisions and then picked us up. some asked about rafting, others a
stationary campsite. i know nothing about the south fork except what i
have read. either would work, but we were avoiding guided trips and
trying to do it as economical as practical. some of the guys have been
to alaska on a do it yourself drop and pick-up trip...i've never done
it, so i was just supposed to gather info and prices - an assignment i
failed. couldn't find anything except fully guided trips. thanks for
your help and interest.

jeff

I would suggest that you fly into and out of Kalispell or Glacier Pk Intl AP

Red Eagle Aviation will take you in (3 of you and gear) for $250 to $300
If you like I will chk prices as it gets closer and warmer.

You would fly into Schaeffer Meadows and hike to the Flathead - not far
You can rent a raft (s) from a few places
I can chk further into that if you tell me how many
Best time is late June before fire season

If you do make it I may or may not join you depending on the time
but I sure can provide you w a day of premier fishing before and a good meal
or so...before and after

Fred

Fred

folks are still interested, so any info you can get for us will be
greatly appreciated. feel free to send e-mail. how far is the hike from
the meadows (and, what is the plane ride/landing like?), as we'll have
to carry rafts if that works out?

jeff