Old September 12th, 2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Gordon MacPherson

Default Disaster and partial compensation

Dear all,
After Thames Water stopped Farmoor Flyfishing Club using the Farmoor 1
reservoir (they will reopen it next year as a catch-and-release water,
allegedly with no trout under 3 lb) the Club reverted to Darlow - a very
pleasant ex-gravel pit water. The recent floods however have devastated the
area and the lake was closed to fishing until late August. When I went out
at the beginning of September I was horrified to see many trout swimming
around aimlessly just under the surface (dorsal and tail fins showing), many
dead trout and a large dead carp. I did not even try to fish. I am told that
it is most likely to be Argulus - a parasite - and that there is little that
can be done to treat it. So I reckon that is probably the end of fishing at
Darlow this season.
The compensation is that Thames Water is offering concessionary tickets for
Farmoor 2. I visited last Saturday and was pleased (and surprised) to come
away with 5 fish - 1.5 - 2.5 lbs, one on a deep buzzer, one on a fry
imitation and three on a baby daddy long-legs (many others missed - I think
I strike too quickly). All fish caught on Farmoor 2 have to be killed - the
compensation is that these fish have deep pink flesh and a lovely flavour.
We cooked one last night - in foil (160 deg C for 25 min) with the zest from
an orange, the juice from the orange, some salt and pepper. The juice was
reduced at the end and a little Grand Marnier added - delicious.

Tight lines

Gordon