Old October 13th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Bob La Londe

Default Trolling motor power

Ok, why do boats still come wired up to select 12 or 24 V for trolling
motors?

My Evinrude is dual voltage, but it is also over 20 years old.

Both my Motorguide and my Minn Kota are 24 V only.

I guess that it does leave some flexibility for guys who buy boats without
trolling motors as part of the package, so my question might need to be a
little different.

Why is the same crappy toggle switch used for voltage selection? I mean it
doesn't look like it can be rated for more than 15 amps yet I know for a
fact that my motor draws a heck of a lot more than that. It also can't be
rated to match the curent flow of the 8 guage or larger wire used to go from
the batteries to the motor. Basicallly it becomes the weak link. The fuse
or circuit breakers on the batteries are capable of handling the current.
Why not the stupi switch. Two boats in a orw I have found this switch to be
a weak link.

I think I'll leave my batteries wired the way they are and simpley unplug
the motor when I plug in the charger.

--
Bob La Londe
Yuma, Az